water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JBtheExplorer said:
what type of plants would work in my stream? Its fairly shallow.

A lot of land plants do well in water, impatiens, grasses, liriope, creeping jenny, ground covers, buy some cheap plants from home depot lowes, stick them in see how they do. I remove the dirt they come in, either put them right in the rocks or in a small pot in kitty litter.
Blue forgetmenot, grows wonderfully.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
addy1 said:
A lot of land plants do well in water, impatiens, grasses, liriope, creeping jenny, ground covers, buy some cheap plants from home depot lowes, stick them in see how they do. I remove the dirt they come in, either put them right in the rocks or in a small pot in kitty litter.
Blue forgetmenot, grows wonderfully.
thanks for the tip! my grandma has tons of forget-me-nots in her garden. I'll have to see if they work.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Roots in the water, crown i.e. stems out. I have some stems below water, any leaves below water will rot.

Reaction score
new question, related to the algae - if a pond is in direct sun pretty much all day, will algae ever "go away?" I have some water Hyacinths that I was told would mulitply like bunnies, but so far, they kind of "shrunk" and now have just started to re-grow.

Pond has been in for almost 2 months...a few water changes, but not sure what else (other than maintain patience!)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
time it takes time to get established and 2 months is really not enough .When I built my bigger pond it took 4 months and that was because I used water from my other pond to help get it started .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mike,

I have a small pond and I am in the throws of trying to have the pond find its balance. My water is like dark green tea. I am tempted to get a UV filter but I keep holding off since I am only about two+ weeks into the cloudy water. My pond gets 7 hours a day of hot sun. I have 6 small sarasses goldfish in my pond. They seem happy and the plants are growing. (Thanks to those who offered plant suggestions.)

I did use a "liquid barley" product to clear the rocks of string algae. That was what kick started the cloudy green water. I will think twice before I do that again.

Rich

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is full sun, sunrise to sunset, not much plant coverage i.e. lilies this year in the big pond. Very few floaters, things have grown slow this year, no wl or hyacinths. I reduced the numbers of lilies, maybe 1/3 of the water is covered with plants. I do have one huge bog that filters the pond, full of plants.

I never have green water or string algae in the big pond. The plants in the bog eat up any nutrients the algae needs to survive. I do get some string in the small slow flow ponds that get water right from the big pond, i.e. nutrient rich water, but they never get green water either.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats because now all the dead algae is free floating and makes it cloudy looking ,best thing is to put a basket filled with quilt batting soaked in peroxide and water in a basket to pick up all the fine stuff
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53602]this was when I was rebuilding my waterfall
shad3rd said:
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]

Mike,

I have a small pond and I am in the throws of trying to have the pond find its balance. My water is like dark green tea. I am tempted to get a UV filter but I keep holding off since I am only about two+ weeks into the cloudy water. My pond gets 7 hours a day of hot sun. I have 6 small sarasses goldfish in my pond. They seem happy and the plants are growing. (Thanks to those who offered plant suggestions.)

I did use a "liquid barley" product to clear the rocks of string algae. That was what kick started the cloudy green water. I will think twice before I do that again.

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks all - I guess I just need to keep the patience thing going! Mine is a preformed pond, with a few pumps in it for the fountains. I have no idea how many gallons it is (i'm guessing no more than 150 - if ecven that many). I'll see if I can figure out how to add a picture to my post here in awhile.

Reaction score
pond.JPG

I DID try the barley bale...as others have said, added more greenish brownish stuff to the water. The water is a tad bit more green than this picture shows, but on the whole, this is what I'm hoping will "clear" up with time. There is a flat rock on the corner ledge and the floating plants are hyacinths..that have since "shrunk" from the size pictured, but seem like they are trying to re-establish. There are 2 little ducks courtesy of a neice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks for the tip about quilt batting. I put a sheet of it in my skimmer box in front of the filter pad. I change it twice a day. I have been doing that for the past two weeks. I honestly thought I could see the bottom of the pond today. There is hope :biggrin:

I do think that I will always fight algae since the pond is small and always in the sun.

Rich

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
In my opinion I believe having anacharis on the bottom of the pond along with lilies and water hyacinths are a great combo. Water hyacinths's long roots just suck nutrients out of the water. I never have any problems with water clarity or pea colored water after they get established each year. I do still get some string algae on my waterfall rocks but that is it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not have a ground pond but check out ozpond on youtube. Great channel and website. Great ponds and advises w/o selling. You’ll enjoy

Ask a Question