New Pond

Reaction score
I have just installed a new pond with pond liner. This is my second attempt. The first pond was on flat ground and worked out well. This pond is on a slight slope! The pond is 9 x 6 x 3. We have leveled the upslope to just above the water surface and placed interlocking wall stones around the pond. On the downslope we had to build up the edge as the water level was so close to ground level. My husband placed wall stones to build a fake bank and then back filled with dirt. My question is how do I put in an overflow drain for heavy rain?

My instinct was to make a dry creek and overlap the liner then fill with rocks, however, the bank is built up quite high and it may be difficult to do that now. My husband suggest punching a hole in the liner and placing a pipe to drain away excess water. I'm afraid of it leaking. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
catluva said:
My husband suggest punching a hole in the liner and placing a pipe to drain away excess water. I'm afraid of it leaking.
Hi:
Welcome to our community!
That's fine, if it leaks, it will only leak when the water reaches that level, which is what you wanted it to do in the first place anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
John I think she is worried that it would leak around where the pipe goes through the liner.....? Maybe she needs to know how to fit the pipe to the liner if a hole is cut.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Kristi Kelty said:
John I think she is worried that it would leak around where the pipe goes through the liner.....? Maybe she needs to know how to fit the pipe to the liner if a hole is cut.
Yes, but it won't be a catastrophic leak even if it does. The pressure will be low at that point and if water goes above that level, most of it will go into the pipe. How to fit the pipe: cut hole, add seals on both sides, bulkhead, seal with aquarium grade sealant.

Reaction score
Thank you Kristi and Dr. Sir John for your input regarding the outlet for my new pond. Kristi, I will post a photo later this week. The pond is brand new so does not look too pretty right now! With some TLC, plants and time hopefully it will look lovely.

Ask a Question