New pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome. I think I missed the intro thread. I used old carpet for the underlayment in my bog and found a great deal on commercial carpet underlayment for the pond both being cheaper alternatives that will provide a thicker layer of protection. And yes do watch The Pond Digger series. I watch it a lot as j am in the process of building my pond now. I usually revisit the part that I am working on once j get there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
thanks to everyone who’s been answering all my newb questions so far! Weather is finally cooperating here in Iowa so I’m tentatively planning to start digging on Saturday. Got an electrician coming out today to run power to the pond area. Found a farmer on Craigslist selling boulders and rocks for 5 cents a pound so loaded up on those yesterday.

A couple more questions—advice on shelves? I won’t have koi, just a few goldfish types. How deep and how wide for plants? I’m gonna dig a 10x12 pond, 3ft deep. Shelves seem like something u have to get right the first time. Don’t want this part to be a regret!

Underlayment—do I need to buy product designed for ponds or can I use other things like carpet padding or some other pliable soft material?

Also—does anyone want to come dig this hole for me? Between hauling boulders, rocks, flagstone, and digging a 30ft trench for the wiring this weekend...I’m sore!

Thanks for the help.
Try to come up with a plan as to where you would like your plants before you make your shelves.you don’t want to mak the same mistake I did and realize that if you put plants on the shelves you built they will block things like your water fall or cause to much shade where you want a lily. When I first made my pond my shelves were to small so when I replaced my liner I made them bigger. A little to big and to many in the front of the pond. When I planted my plants on my shelf I realized they were blocking to much. Now I have empty shelves and my cattails are in two foot tall pots so I can put them in the back so my lilies get more sun and don’t block my water fall. I’m still coming up with ideas on how to plant the extre shelves than I no know I didn’t need and could have been more water volume. You might want to draw it or even lay your pond out with a garden hose and set things where your plant would go.

Ask a Question