New pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thanks to everyone who’s been answering all my newb questions so far! Weather is finally cooperating here in Iowa so I’m tentatively planning to start digging on Saturday. Got an electrician coming out today to run power to the pond area. Found a farmer on Craigslist selling boulders and rocks for 5 cents a pound so loaded up on those yesterday.

A couple more questions—advice on shelves? I won’t have koi, just a few goldfish types. How deep and how wide for plants? I’m gonna dig a 10x12 pond, 3ft deep. Shelves seem like something u have to get right the first time. Don’t want this part to be a regret!

Underlayment—do I need to buy product designed for ponds or can I use other things like carpet padding or some other pliable soft material?

Also—does anyone want to come dig this hole for me? Between hauling boulders, rocks, flagstone, and digging a 30ft trench for the wiring this weekend...I’m sore!

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Underlayment—do I need to buy product designed for ponds or can I use other things like carpet padding or some other pliable soft material?

There is a pond underliner its thicker then landscaping fabric. I have heard of people using fiberglass insulation bats or carpet padding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
People do use things other than underlayment, but to me it's just not worth it. It's not that expensive and you'll (hopefully!) never have to replace it again, so why not go with the tried and true?

Shelves should be at least wide enough to hold a pot. I have one shelf that is wide enough to walk on, which comes in handy if you can work it into your design. But also remember that shelves reduce water volume, so it's a balance. I think @CometKeith is planning to reduce some shelf sizes on his newly dug pond to increase water volume.

And remember if you are using boulders for edging, you want two tiers of shelves - the first will be about 6-8 inches deep (depending on the side of the rock you are using) so you can set that rock so it is partially submerged. You get a much more natural look that way. My second shelf is 12 - 16 inches deep, which works great for most potted marginals. If you want to naturalize them on the shelf, you can always add boulders and gravel to keep them in place until they take root.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think I understand the shelf for the rocks to edge the pond—you’re actually setting the rock on a shallow shelf in the pond as opposed to laying a flat rock near the lip of the pond, yes? If that’s right, then what do you do to disguise the liner that comes up over the edge of the pond? Do you put holes in it to plant things or just cover it with mulch?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You fold the liner up behind the rock - ABOVE the water line, very important - and then disguise it with mulch, gravel, and/or plants. I've even got a few spots where I have rock-liner-rock so it looks like the edge just keeps going. You can do lots of creative edge treatments - check out this video from the Ponddigger for some examples:

In fact, I would recommend the whole "How to Build a Fish Pond" series that he has on his channel - super informative and done with the DIYer in mind.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Like Lisa suggested, I do the rock liner rock at the top of the small shelf. Don’t have to worry about settling as much or junk washing into the pond during rains. Personally, I like the look of the small shelf at the edge of the pond with rock, gives all natures pond critters places to hide.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
gives all natures pond critters places to hide

Good point! It also gives you spaces to tuck plants in between the rocks. Ideally you want to break up the look of an all rock edge. Plants help tremendously to blend the edge of the pond with the edge of the landscape. You can also use a few pieces of wood in or on the edge to help make things look a bit more varied.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here's a picture @Lisak1 drew years ago that explains how to hide the liner. :)
hiding the liner.png

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Good point! It also gives you spaces to tuck plants in between the rocks. Ideally you want to break up the look of an all rock edge. Plants help tremendously to blend the edge of the pond with the edge of the landscape. You can also use a few pieces of wood in or on the edge to help make things look a bit more varied.

Agree on breaking up the all rock look. Eventually plants will just start popping up in between the rocks, whether you want them
there or not.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I WISH I drew that! The only thing I can draw is a blank! haha!
I was pretty sure it was you. I copied it and then colored it in a little, but I can't take credit for it. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was pretty sure it was you. I copied it and then colored it in a little, but I can't take credit for it. :)
Looks like something I have drawn a few times, no clue if that one was mine.............

Ask a Question