New ponder, I know what I want, just not sure how to get there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Lisa. I just went out in the rain and measured it. Including the mulched areas which range from 1-2 ft wide my pond area is 19 long and varies from 12-17 wide because it's irregular shaped. If i measured just from the outside edge of my stepping stones the pond itself is 16 long and ranges from 9-12 wide. The actual pond calculation for volume would be about 14 x 10 and about 3 ft deep which would be around 2800-3000 gallons which makes sense because for me to add one inch to the pond water height I need to add at least 80 or so gallons of water to it. I'm attaching another picture that shows the shape and the water from my 1350 max flo laguna pump spraying into the pond. I also have a KoiAir mini aerator and 2000 gph pump/biofilter creating more water turbulence. Roughin. I hope this gives you an idea of what might work in your space. For my old pond I stacked a bunch of limestone pavers to create a small waterfall, but after having ponds for a while and seeing a lot of professionally built ponds I decided either I was going to have a really great waterfall or none at all and the none won out! :)View attachment 115521
Y'all have not discouraged me from building a pond just made me step back and look and see what the possibilities actually are for the area I actually have. it'll be a slow go got a daughter that just started college so all my extra spending money seems to amazingly get funnel away now so I'll keep looking, reading, thinking, and eventually come up with a solution it's just a start I want to have a really good plan before I actually start to put it into action

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have wanted a pond with waterfall for years, now I'm finally ready to start the project. My space is 13' x 28'. It's next to a raised deck and bay window with a sidewalk on the other side. A 5' waterfall would start just below the bay window heading down toward an 8' x 13' x 2' deep pond that I plan on having plants and goldfish in. That size is based on a 15' x 20' liner which is by far the most cost effective, anything larger goes up dramatically. I will need some help on filters, to skimmer or not to skimmer, pump type and size, because I want a waterfall with sound. I really love the sound of rushing water, but can't find a waterfall picture I think I would be happy with. The more I look and read I change where I'm headed a lot. I would like to start the falls so it looks like it's coming out of the house and down but I really don't want splashing water yet I want the sound of rushing water. The part that intimates me the most is trying to build the waterfall, but I can't or won't afford a contractor, I really want to do it myself. So over the next little while I will be asking for advice and suggestions on everything, but I will try and have an idea where I'm headed before I ask. Thanks in advance for the help, I'm really glad to be here, your the best sight I've found.
welcome. It really can be intimidating. My first piece of advice is define what kind of waterfall you want by looking at as many videos and pics as possible and if you want one that is natural. Also look at actual waterfalls in their natural setting. Once you have in your mind what you want start planning how you will fit it in your setting. I will also share a few errors I have made.

I didn't finalize the plumbing of the falls before building it. Don't get anxious. In my case the piping runs up a hillside. And I should have trenches it but the plants on the hill were in place before the location of the falls was finalized.

Make sure your liner wraps up the outer side walls of the pond in the same manner you will rock your pond.

Create a bypass valve so you can control the flow of your water mechanically vs electronically. I have heard that router controlling mechanisms can take a toll on your pump. This way you control the flow without reducing the gph provided. The bypass line would run right back to the pond or to a bog if you create one.

Use a magnetic driven pond pump vs a sump pump or any other non magnetic pump.

Oh not something I did wrong but something I put great effort into from watching other waterfalls was to create varying angles for the water to flow over, straight falls nearly flat areas for the water to flow over, sloped areas and pockets for the water to pool in.

Pics of my waterfall
20180812_203444.jpg
20180812_202850.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Y'all have not discouraged me from building a pond just made me step back and look and see what the possibilities actually are for the area I actually have.... I want to have a really good plan before I actually start to put it into action

Sounds like an excellent approach. (y) Keep an eye on this forum as the folks here continually come up with some outstanding pond & waterfall builds, and we hope that when you do start your project that you will share it here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey and thanks for braving the rain @CometKeith ! Did you see the funnel cloud that was spotted near downtown the other day?
Hahahah. i was out in that storm. i decided to ride my bike 28 miles on Sunday and got caught in the first part of the storm around North Ave. I kept taking shelter as I rode my bike home with stops at the North Ave chess pavilion, the golf course club house at Addison, a shelter at Montrose where I met an interesting somewhat homeless person, and the Foster ave beach where I got stuck under a shelter with a bunch of life guards and volleyball people. I never saw the sky that dark before. It was pitch black in the distance and really scary. Fortunately I was able to get to the last shelter before the worst part hit. I'm going to post a few pics in my goldfish pond thread so I don't hijack Roughin's thread. Roughin. Good luck with your pond. I think it's a good idea to do it now while your daughter goes to college because I'm guessing your wife is not happy right now with your daughter gone and building the pond will give you a break! https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-goldfish-pond.6742/page-154

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, and you are dead on about the wife!!
yes.... been there and done that 3 times over! I added a link to my last thread for my pictures from my adventure. Re: planning your pond..since most of us are obsessed with this hobby we are all happy to help you with any ideas you have for your pond and help you plan it. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people here that know much more than me and in my opinion GPF can be a great resource for anyone planning to build a pond.

Ask a Question