New PVC Fittings and Flex Pipe ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm just now trying to complete a main stream of a pondless waterfall build. Not sure I can complete and keep the pump on yet, and here in SC we're expecting below freezing temps this evening. Should I be concerned that the water left inside the flex pvc and pvc fittings will freeze if I have the pump shut off?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nah. It's not gonna be a hard freeze so I wouldn't worry. Flex PVC is incredibly tough stuff anyway, so I wouldn't be concerned.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nah. It's not gonna be a hard freeze so I wouldn't worry. Flex PVC is incredibly tough stuff anyway, so I wouldn't be concerned.
But how about the various regular pvc fittings., I assume they're more susceptible?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In SC you have no concerns at all . The only thing working against you is your self. You haven't got the grasp on how to set the rocks and waterfalls before you continue trying to fix your first attempt at a difficult project I would go back to you tube and watch a 30 minute video where only 30 seconds has helpful tips for your build. They go to another and another untill you fell like Brian ,jaak,and John and Tristan are your best friends.
Once you get to that point then go back and work on your water fall. And you should only have to do it once.
From what I see @msr0459 your thinking more on how to hid liner as your first thought and not how water reacts and flows. I may be wrong . This may come across as harsh but I'm just trying to get you to stop spending good time and money on bad.
You have some valuable info now you know what doesn't work and what does but may need a tweak here or there . You know waterfall foam is not waterproof. And how much gets through.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In SC you have no concerns at all . The only thing working against you is your self. You haven't got the grasp on how to set the rocks and waterfalls before you continue trying to fix your first attempt at a difficult project I would go back to you tube and watch a 30 minute video where only 30 seconds has helpful tips for your build. They go to another and another untill you fell like Brian ,jaak,and John and Tristan are your best friends.
Once you get to that point then go back and work on your water fall. And you should only have to do it once.
From what I see @msr0459 your thinking more on how to hid liner as your first thought and not how water reacts and flows. I may be wrong . This may come across as harsh but I'm just trying to get you to stop spending good time and money on bad.
You have some valuable info now you know what doesn't work and what does but may need a tweak here or there . You know waterfall foam is not waterproof. And how much gets through.
Nah, not harsh, no worries. I appreciate the interaction. I have watched those videos tons of times. For sure there are some things I didn't do correctly, and wish I could re-do. My main problem is the fact that because I had to build this thing backwards, e.g., top down. All the large boulders aren't exactly where I'd put them now, given all I've learned over the course of several months, and I simply couldn't move them, because of no access. So now I'm basically making it all look as natural as possible, given the elements I cannot change.

I was in fact fairly happy with the outcome from how I directed the water... I know foam isn't waterproof. Just wasn't expecting so many leaks though. While on the subject, I'm thinking that most of my pooling areas are simply too deep, thus giving the water more time to seep under or around the foam,... does that sound plausible?

I've spent the last few days just trying to make sure IF and when any other small leaks happen, they won't wind up in the dirt. Went back yesterday backfilling around the problematic side, making the sides higher, but also making sure not to pack to tight around boulders, so the leaks have a path,... a tip from Brian on a video, there ya go! 😀

A side note, I also wish I'd of spend the extra money and got the Aquascape 8000 remote controlled pump. When I run this now, with my OASE 8000, it's pretty darn loud!, again, due to water cascading into the deep pooling areas. Sounds great, but not all the time. Yes, I can turn the ball valve down as needed, but that'll become a PITA pretty quickly, Also, when I do turn down the flow via the valve, I hear the pump "humming" more, is that normal?

Ask a Question