United States
upload_2018-6-15_5-43-11.gif
@Lucasalc46

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome. Great advice above. I would also suggest watching videos. Pond build videos at a minimum such as The Pond Digger on how to build a pond. And if you are a DIY guy and up for a challenge you can save their too by watching filtration diy's. I built my skimmer for about 25.00.

On that topic you will want to predetermine the type or combination of filtration you will use and the amount of space is will take and the location it will be. This may vary depending on what you go with. For example a bog can be incorporated into the landscape where as a large mechanical system you may have to hide.

Lastly start looking for clearances and great deals you can but quality for cheap when you get the right deal. For example I got my 700.00 pump for under 200.00

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Believe me, stay away from PVC liners. They get brittle and fail very quickly. EPDM is the way to go as others have stated. Get the felt underlayment as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have the 02506-01 - Atlantic Skimmer (MPN PS4000). I have had it for 5 years and worked great with no problems. I actually just redid my pond and decided to buy it again. I could have used the old one but I was worried about the liner and the old screws. I didn't want to worry about any leaks in case the screws were not tight enough even with the silicon. Just figured I would buy it new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Where in TX? We’ve had quite a few new members recently from The Lone Star State!

My only advice to you — whatever you do, DON’T skimp on your liner! Yes, they are expensive, but even if you have to save up, don’t try to save $$$ in this department! Most of us recommend an EPDM liner, but many also get by with PVC. I prefer the EPDM rubber.
I agree epmd not pvc mine hade a 20 year warranty and last that long plus some. It was Firestone or Goodyear don’t remember .I used pvc for waterfall/filter had to replace twice in the same 20 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Do you have any individual parts yet? You can look into pond kits. They sell some good set ups on Webb's. They have them for different sized ponds and different brands -- Aquascape, Savio, Laguna - as I recall. The nice thing is that the components are sized and selected to work together for a particular size pond. The customer service people were nice with questions, too. From what I've read, though, you can definitely save money shopping around and making some of your own components. Depends on what your budget, priorities, and DIY abilities are. Isn't it tons of fun planning, researching, and shopping???? So exciting!

Ask a Question