New to ponds and need help.

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm hoping to start on my first pond this spring and I've been doing research that has left me even more confused than when I started. Here's what I have so far:

We're adding some beehives to the yard, and the bees need a source of water nearby, so I convinced my wife that we should have a pond. We have a general spot picked out that gets partial shade. I'm going to check on town regulations this week to see if I can go deeper than 2 feet without needing a fence, since we're not willing to fence in the area. Ideally I'd love a koi pond, but if I'm limited to 2 feet, I'm thinking that I probably can't go that route. Whichever way I go, I'm planning on adding an aquaponic grow bed to the system to help with filtration (and because I like fresh veggies).

Now I guess where I'm confused is when I need what type of filtration. Skimmers, bottom drains, waterfall filters, UV, pressure filters... How do I know what I need for my pond? I understand that a lot of that will depend on the pond size, but is there a general "if a pond is over x gallons, you should use y"?

I've keep reef tanks for almost 10 years, so I'm not new to water quality issues, or fish keeping, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive guide on when to use what, which is making it difficult to put a plan together.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
beerfish
I just have a simple goldfish pond about 2400 gals w/ none of the fancy uv, pressure fiters etc. Just use a pump attached to a prefilter and waterfall. Lots here will be able to help you on the details you need.

Another member here is just getting started in raising bees this Summer coming.

Reaction score
That's great to hear, I was driving myself crazy looking at all the filtration options out there. Hopefully the aquaponics bed and the waterfall will be enough!

We're pretty excited about the bees. We did some beekeeping with a mentor a town over last year and loved it, so we decided to start with a couple of hives this year.

Reaction score
Awesome on the bee's!!!

My pond is 2200 gallons. Seems like most people on this site lean towards natural filtration - like your proposed aquaponics system. I have a UV pressure filter, but I've gotten advice to turn off the UV and let my pond find its own groove. Currently in the process of changing to a skippy filter, as per advice on this site. Which I now agree with and wish I had come on this site before spending $300 on the pressure flo UV light system.

As I understand it, skimmers are more for keeping the top of your pond clear of leaves. I don't have one, but am thinking about getting one, depending on the cost.

You will get the right advice on here for sure. I hope you are able to keep koi, mine just started eating from my hands a few days ago. Its so amazingly awesome!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey welcome to our humble group!

I am doing two hives this year, for the first time. Planted a ton of nectar producing flowers, 10 black locust trees trying to make sure we have good nectar source for the bees, Maryland has a very short nectar flow season, like 6 weeks.

For the bees you want to make sure you have plants in the water, slow moving water, so they do not drown. I have around 10 ponds, from tiny to large, all have a ton of plants in them to help the bees that are coming in May. I am starting out with two nucs to give them a head start.

I have just a bog as my filter, large bog, it keeps the pond water nice and clean, algae and green water free. Simple easy to care for, pond runs itself.

I have no koi I wanted to have easy fish, easy pond, and plants in the pond.

Where are you located?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, and yes it is confusing when you first start out. There are so many options, and what works for one, may not be what works best for another.

Where do you live & what kind of climate?

Reaction score
I'm in Northern NJ.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be like saltwater tanks, where it's insanely confusing until you really get underway, and everyone has their opinion of the best way to do things.

Addy, sounds like we're going to be in the same situation with the bees. A lot of people here are moving to a 3 deep system, and I think we're probably going to go that route.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I personally would suggest Shubunkins or Comets instead of Koi.
In my opinion, I love the look of Shubunkins more than Koi. The paint-splatter look on them is awesome. Comets are really nice too, their oranges get really bright under the sun. Both only get around 8" and aren't a pain in the butt like Koi can be.

I can't really help you with filters, last year I only ran with a pre-filter that came with the pump, and I'm planning on a building a small filter this Spring.

Good luck to you, and I hope you stick around and show us your pond as you build and complete it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm in Northern NJ.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be like saltwater tanks, where it's insanely confusing until you really get underway, and everyone has their opinion of the best way to do things.

Addy, sounds like we're going to be in the same situation with the bees. A lot of people here are moving to a 3 deep system, and I think we're probably going to go that route.

Just read a lot and decide what would work for you. Koi take more filtration more water. I like my shubunkins and gf to me they are really pretty and so easy to care for. I went with a large bog to filter the pond so we could travel when honey wants to, (he just retired) the bees will keep us around more than the pond will.

What is a three deep system? aww got it three deep chambers for brood. My friends set me up with the boxes, i.e. told me what to buy. Before I had any knowledge, so I have all medium boxes except two deeps. Right now I will have one deep, three mediums for the brood. According to the bee keeping society I joined, that will work well too. And 4 supers for the honey if we get any this year. With having nucs instead of package bees, might....I bought the nucs on deep frames so had to buy two deep brood chambers.
I need to get more knowledge on ventilation, have a solid bottom and a screened bottom. Also a ventilation screen for the top.

We are leaving warm florida to head north so I can go to a two day intense class on taking care of our new bees. The class is near baltimore given by someone very well versed in bees.

Feel free to join me in my bee thread as I learn and you learn we can share.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/buzzzzzzzzzz-new-adventure.13062/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Beerfish,

You might google up "Earthangroup" based out of Australia or New Zealand I think. They would also help with your requirements for setting up the aquaponics portion and the filtering processes required for that.

Gordy

And... Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I love the look of koi, which is why I'm leaning towards them if possible. Unfortunately, I have to be practical and figure out what will work best once I find out what the town regs are.

I've actually been researching aquaponics for a long time, and have a small indoor system almost complete, so I'm hoping to fine tune my small system while I build the outdoor one. That way I can better understand what issues I may have with the outdoor setup.

Addy, I posted in your bee thread. Looking forward to having someone else starting at the same time that we can compare notes with!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I have koi and they are fussy fish and get big fast ,really big ,did I say really BIG .Right now they are in a holding tank until new pond being rebuilt is ready

Attachments

• aggie and bert move 002.JPG
    aggie and bert move 002.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 281
  • aggie and bert move 005.JPG
    aggie and bert move 005.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 244

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, I posted in your bee thread. Looking forward to having someone else starting at the same time that we can compare notes with!

Lots of stuff to learn to keep the bees healthy. It is a commitment.

Ask a Question