New to ponds, couple of questions....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok, just got off phone with thepondguy. So my run to my waterfall is almost 20 feet, that's why we went with the pump we did. There is also a ball valve that will be installed before the UV filter (40W) to take the flow down to about 3000 so the UV will work. He told me about quarter of a turn. Does this sound ok? I FEEL like the pump is too strong, but he assured me with the ball valve, uv filter and going through the waterfall that it would be ok.

You missed this info in first post no big deal but thanks for clearing up. 20 feet of head will lower your pressure output and diverting some of the flow to uv will help as well ( we won't start on uv's some swear by them others like myself do not use)

oh btw friendly jab Go Yanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You missed this info in first post no big deal but thanks for clearing up. 20 feet of head will lower your pressure output and diverting some of the flow to uv will help as well ( we won't start on uv's some swear by them others like myself do not use)

oh btw friendly jab Go Yanks.

LOL! Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, your pond is going to be awesome!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One more question:) So I am heading out to gather rocks to put in the pond. I have a ton around here... I am going to step into the pond where I need to wearing socks so as to not damage the liner (45 mil.) Should I hose off the rocks really well first? Or is it ok to have some dirt in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
One more question:) So I am heading out to gather rocks to put in the pond. I have a ton around here... I am going to step into the pond where I need to wearing socks so as to not damage the liner (45 mil.) Should I hose off the rocks really well first? Or is it ok to have some dirt in the pond?
I hosed mine off pretty well. The dirt won't hurt I believe, just wanted cleaner rocks when I put them in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

yes clean the rocks first not scrub clean ( unless really caked) but a good hosing will do. less work for the filter on the start up and less junk on the bottom of the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t think you need to worry about wearing socks — unless you just want to. Your feet aren’t going to cause ANY damage to the liner. The rocks are more likely to cause damage before your feet will — and if they are well-positioned, they shouldn’t be a problem either. Now, it never hurts to put an extra piece of liner under any sharp rocks, just to be on the safe side. As far as washing them first, depends on how dirty they are....and personal preference. Probably don’t need to. When you finally get the pond filled and start up the filter (you won’t have fish in it yet), the filter will pull a lot of the “dirt” out of the water column. But that’s all just MHO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Socks will help with traction if there's water in the pond vrs barefoot. dry when i put my liner in to fold and rock i wore my boots

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Socks will help with traction if there's water in the pond vrs barefoot. dry when i put my liner in to fold and rock i wore my boots
I’ll have to remember this! I usually wear some type of water sport shoes, but couldn’t find them yesterday. I wore my Crocs, which actually did OK, but never thought about socks as an anti-slip measure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ll have to remember this! I usually wear some type of water sport shoes, but couldn’t find them yesterday. I wore my Crocs, which actually did OK, but never thought about socks as an anti-slip measure!

I tried socks it did help but i hate the feel. I rather barefoot and go slow. I am typically barefoot once i get home perhaps why, I hate moist socks from a daily ware so i tend to remove boots and socks once i get home and such.

Ask a Question