New to Ponds! Just saying HI, have a few questions, and looking forward to learning lots!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It sounds like you are off to the races then. Once you get the water test results, post them here and the resident experts will weigh in.
I love the house. My mother wanted to build a log cabin so when I was younger we lived in Canada for a year while she went to Log Cabin Building school. It's a thing.
She never built one but is pretty content living in Hawaii so all worked out.
Anyway welcome again. :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, Michael, it looks like you HAVE found your dream home! So, hello and welcome to our forum. You are fortunate that the previous owners obviously maintained the pond. You wouldn't believe the condition of most "property transfer" ponds based on what we see posted by our members.

I can address a few of your questions, but someone else will have to answer the technical/equipment related ones.
  1. The algae you are seeing is what we call "good algae" or blanket algae. That's desirable as it not only gives the fish something to munch on, but contributes to your ponds bio-filter and overall ecology. If you ever have to drain your pond [for whatever reason], don't think that you have to "clean" this off the liner. The only cleaning you should ever need to do is getting muck off the bottom of the pond and cleaning the filters.
  2. Those look like goldfish, and it looks like they've been having babies for a while, LOL!
  3. The plant growing with the lily is [I think] pickerel rush. And the little poofy ones along the edge are parrots feather. We have many other members here who are better with plants than I am, so you'll get lots of help. @addy1
Do you know how deep it is? Just wondering about winter....

I only see a few things to mention,
  • and one is where the pond is located downhill. Runoff from the lawn could be a problem. Have you had any hard rains since you moved in to give an idea what happens?
  • Another is, you mentioned Black Walnuts. I want to say I've heard bad things associated with ponds, but I'll let someone else go there as I don't remember -- If it's not something I personally have to deal with, I don't file it in the brain.
  • I love the wildlife! But beware that they can be a danger to a pond -- and to themselves! Some might try to catch & eat the fish. Some, like the deer, might fall in trying to get a drink and they can tear the liner.
  • And with all the trees, you might want to look at a netting to cover and keep leaves out. Again, with the wildlife, it takes some planning to have netting that is also "critter safe." IOW, you want frogs to be able to get in and out without getting caught/trapped in the netting etc, etc.
If you haven't already done so, you need to get a water test kit. Most of us use the API Freshwater Master Kit which tests for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Then 2 add-on tests are for KH and GH. Are you on well water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Beautiful house / land / pond / dog / deer/ fish ... well, everything! PS, I have black walnuts too... they are hard to landscape around!)

Your fish are common goldfish (the shubunkin goldfish are calico and yours's only red or red/white)

I have a feeling that with the amount of fish (and how big they are), they are too many for your pond. that's why you got lots of muck. But seeme like your biofilteration are doing fine with your fish load so I'd leave that be if you are fine with cleaning the pads out like you are doing. If not, reduce the fish.

The good bacteria that help you convert all the waste fish/environment created lives everywhere under the water (pond liner, rocks, plants, etc, so cleaning the pads out wont hurt them much.

Reduce your feeding or stop the feeding all together and the fish will eats the algae on the side of the pond. No need to get rid of them since they are also help with taking nutrient from the water making water safe for fish. Unless you think it's unsightly you can leave the algae alone. But if you want to remove them, you can use toilet brush to scrape them off. But the algae in my pond comes and goes... I just leave them be.

You can also plants some more plants around the edge (flag irises come to mind) to help take the nutrient from the water, that will help compete the nutrient with algae and help you reduce some.

The amount of fish and the amount of feeding are the reason for your algae growth :)

You can do water change once in a while to reduce the nutrient in the water. If you do a water change, test the pH of the water first to make sure it's match or similar to your pond. If you use city water, make sure to de-chlorine it too.

make sure not to spray anything that can be toxic to fish up hill so when the rain comes, the run off wont kill the fish. If you put fertilizer for the grass, make sure it's not toxic. If it gets in the water, it can create algae bloom though.

cant help with the filter/pump ;) sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As TM mentioned black walnut. I only know that the juglong that's in every part of black walnut tree is toxic to fish in large quantity. Make sure the fruits dont fall into the water (or get pick up quickly if it did).

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What a beautiful place you have! And a very nice pond!

I believe you have a set up similar to mine. The skimmer has a net and filter mat in it before the pump and this is the mechanical filter. I clean this every couple of days (daily in the spring). The water is pumped up to a waterfall box that also has filters. This is the bio filter and I only clean it when I shut down the pond for the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Well, Michael, it looks like you HAVE found your dream home! So, hello and welcome to our forum. You are fortunate that the previous owners obviously maintained the pond. You wouldn't believe the condition of most "property transfer" ponds based on what we see posted by our members.

I can address a few of your questions, but someone else will have to answer the technical/equipment related ones.
  1. The algae you are seeing is what we call "good algae" or blanket algae. That's desirable as it not only gives the fish something to munch on, but contributes to your ponds bio-filter and overall ecology. If you ever have to drain your pond [for whatever reason], don't think that you have to "clean" this off the liner. The only cleaning you should ever need to do is getting muck off the bottom of the pond and cleaning the filters.
  2. Those look like goldfish, and it looks like they've been having babies for a while, LOL!
  3. The plant growing with the lily is [I think] pickerel rush. And the little poofy ones along the edge are parrots feather. We have many other members here who are better with plants than I am, so you'll get lots of help. @addy1
Do you know how deep it is? Just wondering about winter....

I only see a few things to mention,
  • and one is where the pond is located downhill. Runoff from the lawn could be a problem. Have you had any hard rains since you moved in to give an idea what happens?
  • Another is, you mentioned Black Walnuts. I want to say I've heard bad things associated with ponds, but I'll let someone else go there as I don't remember -- If it's not something I personally have to deal with, I don't file it in the brain.
  • I love the wildlife! But beware that they can be a danger to a pond -- and to themselves! Some might try to catch & eat the fish. Some, like the deer, might fall in trying to get a drink and they can tear the liner.
  • And with all the trees, you might want to look at a netting to cover and keep leaves out. Again, with the wildlife, it takes some planning to have netting that is also "critter safe." IOW, you want frogs to be able to get in and out without getting caught/trapped in the netting etc, etc.
If you haven't already done so, you need to get a water test kit. Most of us use the API Freshwater Master Kit which tests for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Then 2 add-on tests are for KH and GH. Are you on well water?

Thank you so much for the detailed information! I am overwhelmed by the fast and thoughtful responses!

I was thinking that the algae was the "good" kind - so I will leave it as is and just continue to clean the filters as needed.

Regarding your items;
  • We have had some downpours and long rains and so far I have not noticed any issues with runoff but this is something I will certainly keep an eye on as I wouldn't want the pond to overfill or for muck to drain in. I may look at creating a barrier of some sort in the future.
  • I will look into the black walnuts and potential issues. I have lots of different types of trees around the property; lotus, oaks, cherries, etc. but the walnuts are located near the pond.
  • Concerns about wildlife has certainly been noted. So far the deer haven't gone to the pond but we have seen birds use it as a bath, squirrels and bunnies play around it, and I know we have racoons somewhere. I will keep this in mind as I wouldn't want any living animal to get hurt!
  • I have purchased a net but yet to put it up. The leaves are already falling and I have to scoop them out each day and it is a task :) I was worried about the frog access so I will have to arrange the net accordingly so great point.
  • The owners said the pond is just a bit deeper than 3 feet where the Lilly Pads are - they indicated that most winters they don't have issues so hopefully that continues.
Again, thank you so much for the details and information! It is extremely helpful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Beautiful house / land / pond / dog / deer/ fish ... well, everything! PS, I have black walnuts too... they are hard to landscape around!)

Your fish are common goldfish (the shubunkin goldfish are calico and yours's only red or red/white)

I have a feeling that with the amount of fish (and how big they are), they are too many for your pond. that's why you got lots of muck. But seeme like your biofilteration are doing fine with your fish load so I'd leave that be if you are fine with cleaning the pads out like you are doing. If not, reduce the fish.

The good bacteria that help you convert all the waste fish/environment created lives everywhere under the water (pond liner, rocks, plants, etc, so cleaning the pads out wont hurt them much.

Reduce your feeding or stop the feeding all together and the fish will eats the algae on the side of the pond. No need to get rid of them since they are also help with taking nutrient from the water making water safe for fish. Unless you think it's unsightly you can leave the algae alone. But if you want to remove them, you can use toilet brush to scrape them off. But the algae in my pond comes and goes... I just leave them be.

You can also plants some more plants around the edge (flag irises come to mind) to help take the nutrient from the water, that will help compete the nutrient with algae and help you reduce some.

The amount of fish and the amount of feeding are the reason for your algae growth :)

You can do water change once in a while to reduce the nutrient in the water. If you do a water change, test the pH of the water first to make sure it's match or similar to your pond. If you use city water, make sure to de-chlorine it too.

make sure not to spray anything that can be toxic to fish up hill so when the rain comes, the run off wont kill the fish. If you put fertilizer for the grass, make sure it's not toxic. If it gets in the water, it can create algae bloom though.

cant help with the filter/pump ;) sorry.

:) Great information! I appreciate the identification of the Goldfish and I share the landscaping troubles you experience!

I did have a concern about the number of fish as I thought there might be too many. I would be so sad to get rid of some but I guess it must be done. I will have to find some local people to take a few - would you say reduce the stock by 25% or more?

It is sounded as if the algae is good so I will leave it as it is! I am looking at planting more plants so perhaps that would help.

Since the previous owners never did a water change I think I will also leave that alone for now - if it aint broke dont tinker with it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
As TM mentioned black walnut. I only know that the juglong that's in every part of black walnut tree is toxic to fish in large quantity. Make sure the fruits dont fall into the water (or get pick up quickly if it did).

Wow, I did not know that! Great to know. I do skim out leaves and things each day and will now pay more attention to the juglong! THANK YOUI!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
What a beautiful place you have! And a very nice pond!

I believe you have a set up similar to mine. The skimmer has a net and filter mat in it before the pump and this is the mechanical filter. I clean this every couple of days (daily in the spring). The water is pumped up to a waterfall box that also has filters. This is the bio filter and I only clean it when I shut down the pond for the winter.

Yup - sounds like mine. Except the previous owners took out the filter mats, filter frames, and net in the skimmer! I have no idea why - so I assume this is why the biofalls filter gets dirty so fast. Looks like I will purchase the skimmer filters right away.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MichaelR Sounds like you've got a good handle on things. And I'm impressed that the previous owners actually communicated some pond info. They must have loved and cared for that pond, and I bet it was hard for them to give it up.

Of the animals you mentioned, raccoons are notorious for their curiosity and can be a danger to pond fish. IDK how much is that they eat the fish, or just play with them, but they can cause injury, so they bear keeping an eye on. Sometimes folks can relocate them, but that might be a problem where you are.

Did the owners say if the pond freezes at all? If so, keeping a hole open in the ice will be important if the entire surface freezes and stays that way for a while. There are current threads going on here now about winter-proofing that might be helpful. Of course, until you experience a winter or 2 you won't know what to expect. But the ONE, MOST IMPORTANT PART OF WINTERIZING: get as many of the leaves out as possible, esp if there might be ice.

There is a product called a Pond Breather that many people are turning to for keeping a hole open in the ice. You need a hole so gas exchange can take place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow, I did not know that! Great to know. I do skim out leaves and things each day and will now pay more attention to the juglong! THANK YOUI!

Yep, only in large qualntity though. I know roots have a lot of juglong. I think leaves are too but only if it breaks down (that's why no bw leaves in compost pile!!!) the husk of the fruit have lots too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@MichaelR Sounds like you've got a good handle on things. And I'm impressed that the previous owners actually communicated some pond info. They must have loved and cared for that pond, and I bet it was hard for them to give it up.

Of the animals you mentioned, raccoons are notorious for their curiosity and can be a danger to pond fish. IDK how much is that they eat the fish, or just play with them, but they can cause injury, so they bear keeping an eye on. Sometimes folks can relocate them, but that might be a problem where you are.

Did the owners say if the pond freezes at all? If so, keeping a hole open in the ice will be important if the entire surface freezes and stays that way for a while. There are current threads going on here now about winter-proofing that might be helpfu. Of course, until you experience a winter or 2 you won't know what to expect. But the ONE, MOST IMPORTANT PART OF WINTERIZING: get as many of the leaves out as possible, esp if there might be ice.

There is a product called a Pond Breather that many people are turning to for keeping a hole open in the ice. You need a hole so gas exchange can take place.

The previous owners were amazing. We have kept in touch and the amount of information and documentation they left us is astounding. We have receipts, manuals, notes, etc. for everything around the house. They built the home, had so much pride and took such great care of everything. We are so fortunate and grateful for that. They were getting older and I think it was become too much for them to maintain - we vowed to them that we would put the same love and care into all aspects (hence me trying to learn as much as possible :)).

The pond will freeze - the owners said they keep everything on (pump/waterfall). They also put a 5 gallon bucket with a light in it which floats upside down - the light is supposed to keep a hole open so the gases can get out. I will be sure to ensure all leaves are removed! There are some dead debris on the bottom where the plants are - this is where it is deepest... I can't get to it unless I physically go into the pond, is this OK or should I get a vacuum?

As before, thank you !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:) Great information! I appreciate the identification of the Goldfish and I share the landscaping troubles you experience!

I did have a concern about the number of fish as I thought there might be too many. I would be so sad to get rid of some but I guess it must be done. I will have to find some local people to take a few - would you say reduce the stock by 25% or more?

It is sounded as if the algae is good so I will leave it as it is! I am looking at planting more plants so perhaps that would help.

Since the previous owners never did a water change I think I will also leave that alone for now - if it aint broke dont tinker with it :)

25% can be a start :) I know how you feel. they are all my babies too but my pond can only handle so many and if I dont want lots of muck, i have to keep my fish load down. I didnt feed them any this year and have some tropical small fishies in the pond to help eat the eggs/babies... i just now saw a few this year goldfish babies that's big enough to come out of hiding.

I think planting iris is done during fall? you can plant them now so next spring you get flowers! I said this coz i just planted 8 different kind of iris (Louisiana irises and 1 Japanese iris). I tried bearded iris in my bog and they didnt make it as they dont like wet feet ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The previous owners were amazing. We have kept in touch and the amount of information and documentation they left us is astounding. We have receipts, manuals, notes, etc. for everything around the house. They built the home, had so much pride and took such great care of everything. We are so fortunate and grateful for that. They were getting older and I think it was become too much for them to maintain - we vowed to them that we would put the same love and care into all aspects (hence me trying to learn as much as possible :)).

The pond will freeze - the owners said they keep everything on (pump/waterfall). They also put a 5 gallon bucket with a light in it which floats upside down - the light is supposed to keep a hole open so the gases can get out. I will be sure to ensure all leaves are removed! There are some dead debris on the bottom where the plants are - this is where it is deepest... I can't get to it unless I physically go into the pond, is this OK or should I get a vacuum?

As before, thank you !
LOL, about getting into the pond! We do it both ways, and some here even have waders! If there's something I can't accomplish top-side, I'll let the pond down some, then climb in. I'm short, so I have to have less water to do anything, but it depends on your pond (good excuse for a water change). Some do use vacuums (I'll get one from Santa this year!). Since the liner will be slippery, keep that in mind. I like to wear a pair of (clean) water shoes.

Look into the Pond Breather. It might be less complicated. I live in Louisiana, so obviously have no need, but many on here are using it. Here's a link to Amazon.com and a picture.

https://www.amazon.com/8PB-Breather-Heated-Aerator-Watts/dp/B000HHM9U0
image.jpeg

Well, next time you communicate with the previous owners, please tell them how impressed we are at the amt of info and level of detail they are providing you. These people are exceptional!

Ask a Question