New to Ponds! Just saying HI, have a few questions, and looking forward to learning lots!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MichaelR, Sep 2, 2016.

1. MichaelR

MichaelR

Thank you so much for the detailed information! I am overwhelmed by the fast and thoughtful responses!

I was thinking that the algae was the "good" kind - so I will leave it as is and just continue to clean the filters as needed.

Regarding your items;
    • We have had some downpours and long rains and so far I have not noticed any issues with runoff but this is something I will certainly keep an eye on as I wouldn't want the pond to overfill or for muck to drain in. I may look at creating a barrier of some sort in the future.
    • I will look into the black walnuts and potential issues. I have lots of different types of trees around the property; lotus, oaks, cherries, etc. but the walnuts are located near the pond.
    • Concerns about wildlife has certainly been noted. So far the deer haven't gone to the pond but we have seen birds use it as a bath, squirrels and bunnies play around it, and I know we have racoons somewhere. I will keep this in mind as I wouldn't want any living animal to get hurt!
    • I have purchased a net but yet to put it up. The leaves are already falling and I have to scoop them out each day and it is a task :) I was worried about the frog access so I will have to arrange the net accordingly so great point.
    • The owners said the pond is just a bit deeper than 3 feet where the Lilly Pads are - they indicated that most winters they don't have issues so hopefully that continues.
    Again, thank you so much for the details and information! It is extremely helpful!

MichaelR, Sep 2, 2016
    tbendl and Mmathis like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. MichaelR

MichaelR

:) Great information! I appreciate the identification of the Goldfish and I share the landscaping troubles you experience!

I did have a concern about the number of fish as I thought there might be too many. I would be so sad to get rid of some but I guess it must be done. I will have to find some local people to take a few - would you say reduce the stock by 25% or more?

It is sounded as if the algae is good so I will leave it as it is! I am looking at planting more plants so perhaps that would help.

Since the previous owners never did a water change I think I will also leave that alone for now - if it aint broke dont tinker with it :)

MichaelR, Sep 2, 2016
    haver79, sissy, Meyer Jordan and 2 others like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. MichaelR

MichaelR

Wow, I did not know that! Great to know. I do skim out leaves and things each day and will now pay more attention to the juglong! THANK YOUI!

MichaelR, Sep 2, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
  4. MichaelR

MichaelR

Yup - sounds like mine. Except the previous owners took out the filter mats, filter frames, and net in the skimmer! I have no idea why - so I assume this is why the biofalls filter gets dirty so fast. Looks like I will purchase the skimmer filters right away.

MichaelR, Sep 2, 2016
    Mmathis and cas like this.
  5. MichaelR

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@MichaelR Sounds like you've got a good handle on things. And I'm impressed that the previous owners actually communicated some pond info. They must have loved and cared for that pond, and I bet it was hard for them to give it up.

Of the animals you mentioned, raccoons are notorious for their curiosity and can be a danger to pond fish. IDK how much is that they eat the fish, or just play with them, but they can cause injury, so they bear keeping an eye on. Sometimes folks can relocate them, but that might be a problem where you are.

Did the owners say if the pond freezes at all? If so, keeping a hole open in the ice will be important if the entire surface freezes and stays that way for a while. There are current threads going on here now about winter-proofing that might be helpful. Of course, until you experience a winter or 2 you won't know what to expect. But the ONE, MOST IMPORTANT PART OF WINTERIZING: get as many of the leaves out as possible, esp if there might be ice.

There is a product called a Pond Breather that many people are turning to for keeping a hole open in the ice. You need a hole so gas exchange can take place.

Mmathis, Sep 2, 2016
  6. MichaelR

Nepen

Yep, only in large qualntity though. I know roots have a lot of juglong. I think leaves are too but only if it breaks down (that's why no bw leaves in compost pile!!!) the husk of the fruit have lots too.

Nepen, Sep 2, 2016
    MichaelR likes this.
  7. MichaelR

MichaelR

The previous owners were amazing. We have kept in touch and the amount of information and documentation they left us is astounding. We have receipts, manuals, notes, etc. for everything around the house. They built the home, had so much pride and took such great care of everything. We are so fortunate and grateful for that. They were getting older and I think it was become too much for them to maintain - we vowed to them that we would put the same love and care into all aspects (hence me trying to learn as much as possible :)).

The pond will freeze - the owners said they keep everything on (pump/waterfall). They also put a 5 gallon bucket with a light in it which floats upside down - the light is supposed to keep a hole open so the gases can get out. I will be sure to ensure all leaves are removed! There are some dead debris on the bottom where the plants are - this is where it is deepest... I can't get to it unless I physically go into the pond, is this OK or should I get a vacuum?

As before, thank you !

MichaelR, Sep 2, 2016
    peter hillman, Mmathis and Nepen like this.
  8. MichaelR

Nepen

25% can be a start :) I know how you feel. they are all my babies too but my pond can only handle so many and if I dont want lots of muck, i have to keep my fish load down. I didnt feed them any this year and have some tropical small fishies in the pond to help eat the eggs/babies... i just now saw a few this year goldfish babies that's big enough to come out of hiding.

I think planting iris is done during fall? you can plant them now so next spring you get flowers! I said this coz i just planted 8 different kind of iris (Louisiana irises and 1 Japanese iris). I tried bearded iris in my bog and they didnt make it as they dont like wet feet ;)

Nepen, Sep 2, 2016
  9. MichaelR

tbendl T

Just be a tad careful with where you plant the Iris as they are not dog friendly. I thought it was just the rhizome kind of iris but someone told me the leaves will upset a dog if he/she eats it.

tbendl, Sep 2, 2016
    MichaelR and Nepen like this.
  10. MichaelR

Mmathis TurtleMommy

LOL, about getting into the pond! We do it both ways, and some here even have waders! If there's something I can't accomplish top-side, I'll let the pond down some, then climb in. I'm short, so I have to have less water to do anything, but it depends on your pond (good excuse for a water change). Some do use vacuums (I'll get one from Santa this year!). Since the liner will be slippery, keep that in mind. I like to wear a pair of (clean) water shoes.

Look into the Pond Breather. It might be less complicated. I live in Louisiana, so obviously have no need, but many on here are using it. Here's a link to Amazon.com and a picture.

https://www.amazon.com/8PB-Breather-Heated-Aerator-Watts/dp/B000HHM9U0
    image.jpeg

Well, next time you communicate with the previous owners, please tell them how impressed we are at the amt of info and level of detail they are providing you. These people are exceptional!

Mmathis, Sep 2, 2016
    MichaelR likes this.
  11. MichaelR

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group!
    The pond breather show above is what I use during our winters, so far no fish have died over winter. My pond does freeze over most winters.

Beautiful property you have.

addy1, Sep 2, 2016
    Mmathis and MichaelR like this.
  12. MichaelR

Nepen

really? that's interesting. thanks for the info :)

Nepen, Sep 2, 2016
  13. MichaelR

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Beautiful property and a nice, apparently healthy, pond.
    Other than bringing the skimmer 'up to specs' by adding the missing components and maybe adding some bags of bio-balls to the waterfall filter (to reduce overall maintenance), I would follow your own advice, which BTW, is very often mine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Many of the issues that people encounter with ponds is often a result of 'tinkering'.
    As long as you are not applying herbicides/pesticides to your lawn or surrounding shrubbery, I would not be overly concerned with run-off.
    I would venture to wager that the first results that you get with the water test kit are going to show that everything is Okay.
    Obviously this pond has been in place for a few years and, judging from the fish population and aquatic plant growth, does not have any major biochemical issues.
    Sit back and enjoy.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 2, 2016
    haver79, Nepen, Mmathis and 1 other person like this.
  14. MichaelR

MichaelR

Oh wow - I didn't realize that either! Great looking out :) Thank you!!!

MichaelR, Sep 2, 2016
  15. MichaelR

cas

I have had the yellow flag iris both inside and outside the pond for over 20 years. None of my dogs bothered it.

cas, Sep 2, 2016
    tbendl likes this.
  16. MichaelR

sissy sissy

I had to plant around my pond ,I thought I was loosing water until I found out that 10 or more deer a night were drinking out of the pond .I was feeding them deer corn and had a salt lick for them .I have since put water troughs in the woods that I freshen up every day when needed .

sissy, Sep 2, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
  17. MichaelR

peter hillman Let me think for minute....

Great pond shots Michael! Off to a great start.

peter hillman, Sep 2, 2016
  18. MichaelR

Gordo33

Welcome to the group. Your property is amazing and you have a great looking pond. I live in Philadelphia suburbs so we have similar winters. I have kept my pump and falls running year round and the fish have survived. The water circulating in the falls tub keeps an opening allowing for gas exchange. Some will advise against this because the ice formation can potentially redirect the water out of the pond. This is from this past January image.jpeg image.jpeg

Gordo33, Sep 3, 2016
  19. MichaelR

Mmathis TurtleMommy

A good example that every pond is different!

Mmathis, Sep 3, 2016
  20. MichaelR

Becky Administrator

Small world indeed! (y)

Your house and garden are certainly much more picturesque than anything you'd find in Bolton nowadays! :LOL:

Becky, Sep 3, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question