New to Ponds! Just saying HI, have a few questions, and looking forward to learning lots!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
The pond breather show above is what I use during our winters, so far no fish have died over winter. My pond does freeze over most winters.

Beautiful property you have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just be a tad careful with where you plant the Iris as they are not dog friendly. I thought it was just the rhizome kind of iris but someone told me the leaves will upset a dog if he/she eats it.
really? that's interesting. thanks for the info :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Beautiful property and a nice, apparently healthy, pond.
Other than bringing the skimmer 'up to specs' by adding the missing components and maybe adding some bags of bio-balls to the waterfall filter (to reduce overall maintenance), I would follow your own advice, which BTW, is very often mine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Many of the issues that people encounter with ponds is often a result of 'tinkering'.
As long as you are not applying herbicides/pesticides to your lawn or surrounding shrubbery, I would not be overly concerned with run-off.
I would venture to wager that the first results that you get with the water test kit are going to show that everything is Okay.
Obviously this pond has been in place for a few years and, judging from the fish population and aquatic plant growth, does not have any major biochemical issues.
Sit back and enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Just be a tad careful with where you plant the Iris as they are not dog friendly. I thought it was just the rhizome kind of iris but someone told me the leaves will upset a dog if he/she eats it.

Oh wow - I didn't realize that either! Great looking out :) Thank you!!!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have had the yellow flag iris both inside and outside the pond for over 20 years. None of my dogs bothered it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to plant around my pond ,I thought I was loosing water until I found out that 10 or more deer a night were drinking out of the pond .I was feeding them deer corn and had a salt lick for them .I have since put water troughs in the woods that I freshen up every day when needed .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
The pond will freeze - the owners said they keep everything on (pump/waterfall). They also put a 5 gallon bucket with a light in it which floats upside down - the light is supposed to keep a hole open so the gases can get out. I will be sure to ensure all leaves are removed! There are some dead debris on the bottom where the plants are - this is where it is deepest... I can't get to it unless I physically go into the pond, is this OK or should I get a vacuum?

As before, thank you !

Welcome to the group. Your property is amazing and you have a great looking pond. I live in Philadelphia suburbs so we have similar winters. I have kept my pump and falls running year round and the fish have survived. The water circulating in the falls tub keeps an opening allowing for gas exchange. Some will advise against this because the ice formation can potentially redirect the water out of the pond. This is from this past January image.jpegimage.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you :) I noticed you are from Manchester! I am actually from Bolton; lived there from 1-7 years old! My entire mother's side still lives there (well Farnworth which is right outside Bolton). Small World!!! I appreciate the welcome.

Small world indeed! (y)

Your house and garden are certainly much more picturesque than anything you'd find in Bolton nowadays! :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What a beautiful place! Your pond is lovely. Its wonderful the previous owners left you with so much information.

No one has mentioned the light in the upside down bucket for overwintering. That concerns me and I wonder if there is any need to worry about this being safe. Maybe there is no reason for concern as it seems like the previous owners must of used this method routinely. I am in zone 5 and have to take measures so the pond does not freeze over. I do not keep my pond running all winter but use a combination of an areator, pond heater and pond breather. The pond breather would suffice but I like to make sure I have an area open in the water so I can see down in there. I like to see whats going on down there with my fishies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
You have a beautiful property. I use pond breathers in my pond and they seem to do the job quite well. Before I bought them i used a tote floating unside down in the pond with a 40 watt light bulb inside. It actually worked works quite well. I coated the light bulb with clear silicone so that just in case the cold water hit the bulb it wouldn't shatter and drop glass in to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Beautiful! You found yourselves a little piece of heaven! I would love a log home up north, but I am down south where it is just stinkin' hot all the time, it seems! LOL
Love your pictures of the pond, property and critters! What fun!

Ask a Question