New to site and want to pick some minds here

Reaction score
Hi all im new to the site and to the whole pond thing so ill be asking alot of questions. So here it goes. Also im big diy.
I just bought my first house last year and i have a back yard with nothing but dirt and rocks
Ive been putting up a small wall for flower beds and my pond.
Ive been looking for the parts i need for my pond and was looking for a skimmer
its the cheapest i found for the size-price wise. proline pro 5000 for 235$
im looking for one that has the opening below water line so i can have gavity working on my side because the pump will be off to the side.
The pond water line will be about 20inch above where pump will be so if needbe i can add more filters away from pond. Im thinking if my pond water line is 20inch above
i can have the drain and skimmer flow to a holding tank and then pump back from there to pond. What do you think? thanks for your feedback

Attachments

• 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 317
Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm not really clear on what you're asking.

All skimmers are plumbed under water line to receive water. I can't quite tell, but are you using your skimmer with an external flter or an internal one inside your skimmer?

If you could be more clear or perhaps add a drawing of what you mean, we might be able to help.

Reaction score
If the pump won't be in the skimmer, consider a pool skimmer. They only cost about $30, and they take up a lot less space.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wide-Mouth-Pool-Skimmer/5693279

I had to replace my Aquascape skimmer because shifting clay crushed it. Backfilling with crusher might have stopped that, but when I replaceld the skimmer, I got a Savio because it's round and and very strong. If you go with the cheapest box skimmer you can find, you might want to think about stabilizing the soil around it.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum a simple drawing would be helpful
The first pic looks like you are off to a good start

Reaction score
after doing some homework i think ill be going with a pool skimmer for my app. thanks for the tip Otter what about bottom drains for pools they should work the same?

Reaction score
no. a pool bottom drain and a pond bottom drain are quite different. You can buy a pond bottom drain quite inexpensively if it's not aerated (tho aerated is better), so there's no reason to use a pool one. A pool skimmer is pretty much the only piece of pool equip that can be used on a pond. And Otter's suggestion is totally sound.

Ask a Question