New to the forum

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm new to this forum. Found it by accedent while researching a pond plant I recieved today from a friend of mine on another gardening forum. Anyway a bit about me. I consider my self a die hard water garden enthusiest. I've been that way since I was 2. First time my parents took me to a mall where they had a huge fountain in the food area. One of those where the lights change colors and the fountains do cool things. After that I was introduced to the world of water gardening.

A little time line,

In the 2nd grade I had a teacher who refered to me as the fountain man which is where I get my user name. She was a huge positive influence in my life.

In the 6th grade I built a very shallow water feature which soon turned into the pond I have today.

My experience with water features is here and there. I'm still young and feal I have some learning to do.

As far as hands on experience I've done projects from small patio (whisky barrol) ponds to an installation of aerating lake fountains.

My pond today is only an 8Ft by 10 Ft bu 18" deep. I know what they mean by always make it bigger. Outside of the central pond is a smaller 4 Ft circular pond with a carnivorous bog around the edge. On the other side of the main pond is a small stream leading from a bird pool.

38061.jpg

Header Bird pool. I like to see the birds bathing in this.

28070.jpg

Main pond. Tomarrow when there's light I'll try to get a better picture. This was taken a year ago. The pond looks far better this year.
Notice the fishies?
38706.jpg

Header pond. That plant is a Pink Pickerel. The rest are Blue.

38705.jpg

Here is a photo I took today of part of my pond. The left is an Umbrella Palm and the right is a Lousiana Black Gamecock Iris.

38549.jpg

Mr. Froggy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome22bug.gif
FountainMan
Nice looking pond/falls/fountain and fish.............and cool Mr Froggy B)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
smileywelcome687.gif

To our group, nice looking set up you have there.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Thanx guys. First water feature. I built it over and over again to get it just right. I like how it's turned out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome I have seen those pump sprayer heads and always wondered if they worked or do you have to anchor it .I was just looking at petco and never heard of an in pond aerator either .Life guard aquatics makes it and it is 67 dollars anyone ever try chime in . also see you have a lighted one

FountainMan

Reaction score
Welcome I have seen those pump sprayer heads and always wondered if they worked or do you have to anchor it .I was just looking at petco and never heard of an in pond aerator either .Life guard aquatics makes it and it is 67 dollars anyone ever try chime in . also see you have a lighted one
Got mine at Lowes for 110$. Works really well. It's one of those all in one clarifier units. Has a built in UV clarifier. Perfect size for my pond. The pump included is a 250gph and includes 3 nozzle patterns. The lights are simple LED's. As far as anchoring it includes a deal on the bottom but I perfer to use 2 lengths of string and anchor from the sides. This makes it more stable otherwize it will occalate. It's a really good unit. Highly recommended.

Personally I perfer these floating units. No having to wade in the pond to access the pond and componets. The fountain nozzle always stays with the water level. The pump is well elevated off the floor which keeps the bulk of the debris away. The all in one units make easy installation.

To anyone looking to add a fountain I highly recommend it.

What unit do they carry at Petco? I've never seen Petco carry pond supplies.

http://www.smart-pond.com/products/121/Accent Here's the site.

Lowes and Home depot carry this. Smartpond and Totalpond are related. I think they both get their products from Geoglobal.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Oase used to have a thing called the Mini pond jet which was similar minus the UV but has a slightly higher flow rate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I need a bigger gph but like the fact it floats and stays with the water height .I have never used a a uv on my pond .You just go to fish and next to it gives a listing and pond is there .I bought the 4 port aerator and 4 years later that thing still works better than the expensive one I have ,It was the petco brand one .

FountainMan

Reaction score
How big GPH do you need? I couldn't enlarge the photos so I don't how big your pond is. By the looks you might be able to fit a Kasco 1400JFL. http://www.kascomarine.com/products/1400jf.html The "Falcon" nozzle (narrow arch) has a 4 ft by 4 Ft display. It uses a 1/4hp motor. I tested one of those in my 6 by 8 Ft pond. I'm sure your pond may be able to accomodate one. Only problem is these units range from 700 to 900$ depending on whether or not you get the version with lights. Mine lasted 7 years. I removed it because the cord got messed up and I wanted more plants. The patterns don't disrupt the surface to the point of hindering plant groth of lilies.

Ask a Question