New & trying to learn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello!

I jumped into the deep end instead of easing into having a pond, then we added fish way too fast. Almost 1 year in. For as much as I have learned, I think I am missing something (but I don't know what it is to know what to ask!). I am joining the forum and hoping someone will be able to spot what's missing!

So far I have managed to problem solve on the fly, some from research, some by sheer dumb luck. Maintenance right now is time consuming 2x a week. Last year was every other week. I know part of the cause, but again, big unknown. I will post in the appropriate forum with details.

Thank you for having me and I look forward to becoming an excellent water keeper so my fish live long and prosper!!

(Images from March, plants are bigger now, but had a long cold spring which slowed all vegetation, including the bog plants)
20230416_160456.jpg
20230512_195325.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well your off to a good start. You don't have your pond over stocked. That's rule one . Guess what rule 2 is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well your off to a good start. You don't have your pond over stocked. That's rule one . Guess what rule 2 is
Don't overstock the pond? haha
The builder/original owner had 17 koi in here for 20 years! In keeping less, and some smaller fish, I hope I can get the balance and keep it for so long too!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I agree with the others regarding the good start with a beautiful pond. I was expecting worse when reading your intro before the photo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks lovely :) I'm in zone 7 and my plants got hit hard over the winter too. I'm just now getting the replacements settled in.
Plenty of good info on the forum for you about which plants to try and which you may want to avoid, but if you like gardening you're going to have fun!
Welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SW in Clark County! Hello! How has your pond handled this crazy weather coming out of winter!? For a new to me pond keeper, this is definitely been mayhem haha

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
SW in Clark County! Hello! How has your pond handled this crazy weather coming out of winter!? For a new to me pond keeper, this is definitely been mayhem haha
All is going well here but this up and down w/temps is really crazy and warmest May here in forever! I welcome the warmth but we do need more rain..................never thought I would be saying this o_O

Ask a Question