Newb w/ a micro pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
View attachment 117458

This what i have now 85 gallon i have one water lily in there too with those plants
I put in a divider so these plantz will not tangled up with the lily
I think i have abput 6 guppies in there
Some died
Hoping its ok now that i put that water treatment

For my round tub i put in one water lily
Male and female guppy
It is great, for small fish! You’ll have tons of guppies in no time. When you try for bigger fish, you’ll need bigger containers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is great, for small fish! You’ll have tons of guppies in no time. When you try for bigger fish, you’ll need bigger containers.

Maybe someday ill try a small aquaponics
Ok i noticed some of that floating plant is turning brownish i think i really need the sun
Have to monitor the sshades around my house and figuredd out what side has the most sunlight

Reaction score
Country
United States
20181115_153625.jpg

Taro plant
I need to get a bigger thingy for them roots to grow
And put it in the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
As for raising fish for food, look into hydroponics. A lot of folks use the ibc totes, with many of them. Or you could buy an above ground pool, if you have the space. I was using my pool as a pond, but I’m on well water, so I didn’t have to worry about chemicals in the water ( until the field south of me got sprayed and caused a die off) My best advice is do lots of research, talk to others, learn before you get your fish.
Guppies are great easy fish. One thing to watch for is weather, rain can flush fish out.

Wjen i bought my pond
The guy told me about that
He ssid once i know whish side is lower when i put water drill a hole in there

But what i did
I drilled holes on 4 corners
So no matter which side is lower water will drain
And also if to much rain getting in i have more holes for deain out

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just have this wild idea about using mangroves
But can they survied on a fresh water
Ived only seen them on salt water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Question here pls

Can i use pump to keep my pond clean?
Im thinking of getting one of those solar pond pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Question here pls

Can i use pump to keep my pond clean?
Im thinking of getting one of those solar pond pump
You can use it to move water, but you’ll have to devise a filter. For example, I have a power head used to airate water or combined with an under gravel filter. I then attached a bottle with holes cut in the side that I filled with polyester stuffing. This pulls water through the filling, and the stuffing filters out the gunk.this size works ok for my tank, I’m working on trying to find a better container that I can clean when it gets full.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 161
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Read up on bog filtration, it would be a bigger project, but solve the problem of filters getting clogged. Addy has a good thread on how to.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can use it to move water, but you’ll have to devise a filter. For example, I have a power head used to airate water or combined with an under gravel filter. I then attached a bottle with holes cut in the side that I filled with polyester stuffing. This pulls water through the filling, and the stuffing filters out the gunk.this size works ok for my tank, I’m working on trying to find a better container that I can clean when it gets full.

I dont think that will work on my pond
I have dead debris from those floating plants

And now i have a bigger problem
I have ick ich on my guppies
Looks like a fungus white stuff o. Ther fins eyes

Please help me save them
What am i doing wrong

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Filter the water, treat for ick, and remove any dead plant debris. Go buy a big aquarium filter to get you through this for now, and standard ick treatment. Research online how to decontaminate the tank and plants, but I think treating the water might do it. There is a chance your fish came with the ick already, but something about your water/ situation has allowed it to take a firm hold. You’ll want to fully treat them, and do a quarantine before adding any others. Filtration is key to healthy environments in such small containers. A couple of the power heads with a diy filter like I have will do to get you by until you can get better. YouTube Rachel O’Leary and King of DIY, Rachel covers small fish, keeping them, issues she has had, Joey covers how to make filters and tanks, plus his bigger fish. They can give good pointers and better advice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I dont think that will work on my pond
I have dead debris from those floating plants

And now i have a bigger problem
I have ick ich on my guppies
Looks like a fungus white stuff o. Ther fins eyes

Please help me save them
What am i doing wrong

I didn't see in this thread where you mentioned water quality tests..
Poor water quality will stress the fish and make them susceptible to infection and disease.
There should be somewhere on the Island that can sell you some water test kits.
These are the ones that are most popular:

https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=580#.W__t3mhKhhE
https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=587#.W__t-GhKhhE

Once we know your water quality based on the above test kits (get both), we can help you improve your water quality and treat from there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Filter the water, treat for ick, and remove any dead plant debris. Go buy a big aquarium filter to get you through this for now, and standard ick treatment. Research online how to decontaminate the tank and plants, but I think treating the water might do it. There is a chance your fish came with the ick already, but something about your water/ situation has allowed it to take a firm hold. You’ll want to fully treat them, and do a quarantine before adding any others. Filtration is key to healthy environments in such small containers. A couple of the power heads with a diy filter like I have will do to get you by until you can get better. YouTube Rachel O’Leary and King of DIY, Rachel covers small fish, keeping them, issues she has had, Joey covers how to make filters and tanks, plus his bigger fish. They can give good pointers and better advice.

Ill get my self one of those solar power pumps
With battery back up

I just changed the water morethan half of the water amd put those ich treatment aftwr i filled it bqck up with water and also the water treatment

Ask a Question