Newbie from North Carolina

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by xxbowiexx, Mar 28, 2015.

1. xxbowiexx

CometKeith

Welcome xxbowiexx! Hope you have fun with your new pond. I wouldn't be in a rush to add more fish until you learn more about pond keeping. Probably the most disappointing thing for a newbie is not being able to keep the water healthy for their fish.

CometKeith, Mar 29, 2015
    xxbowiexx and sissy like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. xxbowiexx

CountryEscape

I think that's right, Lisa, I think it is phlox! I sure could not have come up with that, but pretty sure you are correct. I didn't know phlox grew in water.

CountryEscape, Mar 29, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. xxbowiexx

xxbowiexx

thanks for your post. Let me post a picture of my fish. Perhaps you can ID it. Since we only have 2 fish and they are almost always together, we have named it "Batman and Robin" lol. I think i have comet DSC_00100.jpg

xxbowiexx, Mar 30, 2015
    RobAmy and CountryEscape like this.
  4. xxbowiexx

Lisak1

I think it's actually right on the edge of the pond.

Lisak1, Mar 30, 2015
  5. xxbowiexx

xxbowiexx

here's an older picture of the pond when the previous owner has it. It must be taken sometimes in the fall. I need to post a picture that can capture the full shape of the pond. anyways, i thought i'll share it IS-1cn84ms7erbkt.jpg

xxbowiexx, Mar 30, 2015
  6. xxbowiexx

snoozer

The pink looks kind of like Cleome to me. They can get pretty tall and flower all summer.

snoozer, Mar 30, 2015
  7. xxbowiexx

xxbowiexx

i love the cleome, one of my favorite in the yard.

xxbowiexx, Mar 30, 2015
  8. xxbowiexx

CountryEscape

Yep, that would be a Comet goldfish, Bowie. Very pretty, vibrant colors, too! I think anytime a goldfish has long flowing tails, it's a Comet. If it is tri-colored, it's Shubunkin.

CountryEscape, Mar 31, 2015
    xxbowiexx likes this.
  9. xxbowiexx

sissy sissy

They can be butterfly or fancy tails and be koi or goldfish .I have both I think it is a mixture of the fish I have in the pond .The yellow fancy tail which I thought was a goldfish after almost 5 years now has little tiny barbels .They are so small they are barely noticeable .5 years is a long time and now just noticed them the other day .He was black at first then he added gold to the mixture and then white also and then he turned all white and now after this past winter he is yellow .My gold one has a mixture of light red and white and he is the same age but I have not gotten a good look at his face .I started my pond with 6 fish and now have 16 and given lots of pretty fish away .The doctor that comes here is thinking about doing a pond in his front yard .I am sure he has good money to put into also .

Attached Files:

sissy, Mar 31, 2015
    j.w likes this.
  10. xxbowiexx

CountryEscape

Beautiful fish, Sissy. Usually a goldfish/comet might start out black, then change colors to red/orange. I have one that is yellow this year so far, but thinking it's supposed to be white! Your red/white Comet is beautiful!

CountryEscape, Mar 31, 2015
  11. xxbowiexx

sissy sissy

I want to get a look at his face because I wonder if he may have barbels also .I know almost all the babies I gave away have long flowing tails and people have sent me E-mails telling me how beautiful they are .I have gotten a couple of pics also via E- mail .I actually only have 1 fish in my pond that does not have a flowing tail that is like these

sissy, Mar 31, 2015
  12. xxbowiexx

j.w I Love my Goldies

I love your pretty fish w/the long tails sissy!

j.w, Mar 31, 2015
  13. xxbowiexx

xxbowiexx

the tail is beautiful. i'm definitely will buy some more fish for the pond. its just that i have to pick carefully and find good ones

xxbowiexx, Apr 1, 2015
  14. xxbowiexx

xxbowiexx

so i snap a picture of Batman and Robin yesterday. They are always together. you will also notice how murky the bottom of my pond is. Need some suggestions on how to clean it effectively comets in pond.jpg

xxbowiexx, Apr 1, 2015
    RobAmy and sissy like this.
  15. xxbowiexx

CountryEscape

Do you ever net the bottom? Find a fish net that has the top edge flat, if possible. Then use it to slowly scoop up anything on the bottom. Leaves and dirt and other stuff blows into the ponds during the winter and spring, and once you net it out it will clear up quicker. If you use some quilt batting and put that under an outflow of water (like waterfall or such), you will catch more of the fine silt that gets stirred up. I use a product my sister gave me 3 years ago and I LOVE, called Pond Perfect. I get the gallon size, it's about $80, but it lasts several years. It helps loosen up the algae on the sides, and also makes the muck on the bottom "matt" together. I snag it and it seems to keep coming and coming out! But, if you don't want to put any chemicals into your pond, just use a net every now and then.

CountryEscape, Apr 4, 2015
    xxbowiexx likes this.
  16. xxbowiexx

xxbowiexx

i've been using a pool net to net out some debris but lately i've been using little pick-up i bought from Harbor Freight for $2 that can pick up leaves and debris. It's a tedious process but its actually enjoyable to do it. i plan on doing on a regular basis. The pond is actually looking better. Can't wait for my water lilies to come back to life.
    DSC_00050.jpg

xxbowiexx, Apr 7, 2015
  17. xxbowiexx

sissy sissy

haha I have 3 of those things they are great ,one in the kitchen ,one in the basement and one for the pond .For short people they are great .I love them

sissy, Apr 7, 2015
    xxbowiexx likes this.
  18. xxbowiexx

xxbowiexx

Can't wait for my pond to look like this again. zepond.jpg

xxbowiexx, Apr 14, 2015
  19. xxbowiexx

tbendl T

It's beautiful.

tbendl, Apr 14, 2015
    xxbowiexx likes this.
  20. xxbowiexx

xxbowiexx

I went to Livingscape, a pond shop near my house and bought a few fishy today. Bought 2 Shubunkin (Tyrone and Cornelius) , 1 premier white Koi (Snow White), and one butterfly Koi (Goldie Lock). They are acclimating well to the pond. My two comets (Batman and Robin) seems to enjoy their new neighbor first day of school.jpg

xxbowiexx, Apr 22, 2015
    haver79 and CountryEscape like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question