Newbie from North Carolina

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, Bowie. I'm not sure about the tall pink flower. I think that's what LisaK was IDing as Obedient Plant. If it is, then what I have and call obedient plant is not OP! Also, you mentioned you have two comet/koi. They are one or the other. If they have whiskers, they are koi. If they don't, they are likely comets (orange/white, long tail) or possibly goldfish (shorter tails, usually, no whiskers, orange or orange/white combos) or Shubunkins (tri-colored). Fish are hard to get pics of, but if you post pics, someone on here will know for sure what they are. Glad you are here! Your pond is really pretty, very well maintained, it appears. You will love it, and sounds like expansion is already in your plans. Lucky you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome xxbowiexx! Hope you have fun with your new pond. I wouldn't be in a rush to add more fish until you learn more about pond keeping. Probably the most disappointing thing for a newbie is not being able to keep the water healthy for their fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome, Bowie. I'm not sure about the tall pink flower. I think that's what LisaK was IDing as Obedient Plant. If it is, then what I have and call obedient plant is not OP! Also, you mentioned you have two comet/koi. They are one or the other. If they have whiskers, they are koi. If they don't, they are likely comets (orange/white, long tail) or possibly goldfish (shorter tails, usually, no whiskers, orange or orange/white combos) or Shubunkins (tri-colored). Fish are hard to get pics of, but if you post pics, someone on here will know for sure what they are. Glad you are here! Your pond is really pretty, very well maintained, it appears. You will love it, and sounds like expansion is already in your plans. Lucky you!

thanks for your post. Let me post a picture of my fish. Perhaps you can ID it. Since we only have 2 fish and they are almost always together, we have named it "Batman and Robin" lol. I think i have comet
DSC_00100.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They can be butterfly or fancy tails and be koi or goldfish .I have both I think it is a mixture of the fish I have in the pond .The yellow fancy tail which I thought was a goldfish after almost 5 years now has little tiny barbels .They are so small they are barely noticeable .5 years is a long time and now just noticed them the other day .He was black at first then he added gold to the mixture and then white also and then he turned all white and now after this past winter he is yellow .My gold one has a mixture of light red and white and he is the same age but I have not gotten a good look at his face .I started my pond with 6 fish and now have 16 and given lots of pretty fish away .The doctor that comes here is thinking about doing a pond in his front yard .I am sure he has good money to put into also .

Attachments

• property march 23-15 035.JPG
    property march 23-15 035.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 195
  • property march 23-15 038.JPG
    property march 23-15 038.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 206
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Beautiful fish, Sissy. Usually a goldfish/comet might start out black, then change colors to red/orange. I have one that is yellow this year so far, but thinking it's supposed to be white! Your red/white Comet is beautiful!

Ask a Question