Newbie pump help

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
sand filters require alot of maitainence, i wouldnt reccomend them. but that said people use them. but a good submersable pump and bio filter will guarentee you a lower maintainence, healthy pond. build your filter, there are plans right here on this forum,look them up, they are an inexpensive,highly efficient filter,and a easy build. in the equipment forum look up "building a 55 gallon bio filter" in the diy section "my 70 gallon skippy filter" both are basically the same filter(upflow) you can go either way, and use good sturdy plastic outdoor trash cans if you cant get the stock tank or drums. the stock tanks come in 70,100,150 gallon sizes.

Reaction score
Thanks
I read the post for build your own 55 gallon filter and I not sure how many I would need for 5000 gallons of pond .The filter works best I read with a 500 gallon per hour flow .Would I need 5 , 5 x 500 =2500 gal per hour or would I use 2-3 and send the other 1000-1500 gallons through a mechanical filter ?

I read this
Peter Waddington, in his book “Koi Kichi”, says the real volume of water a fish lives in is determined by multiplying the pump's flow per hour times 24 hours per day. For instance, 3,333 gallons/hour yields a "real volume" of 80,000 gallons that the Koi actually live in, regardless of the actual size of the pond. This says that the water pump’s output is more important than the size of the pond. So people with smaller ponds will want to turn them over more often than those with larger ponds.

So let’s say you have a 5,000-gallon pond, and you want to turn it over every 1-½ hours. We simply divide the size of your pond by the number of hours you want for a complete turnover to get your flow rate. So for our example the flow needs to be 5,000 / 1.5 = 3,333 gallons per hour (GPH) or 3,333 / 60 = 55.5 gallons per minute (GPM).

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That size pump you would want to run only on special occasions. It will cost a lot to run it and your evaporation rate will be high.

Reaction score
All done I went with this pump instead fill er with water and I am done.
CIMG0920

ok just kidding

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That must be one of the mud ponds they raise koi in :icon_mrgreen:

Ask a Question