Newbie starter questions

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I can't believe I've removed 75% of the Salvinia thinking it was a weed, I'm going to slow down and research more!

Well, the good news is that it will grow back fairly quickly, especially as you're heading into summer Down Under. And in any case, the stuff you took out makes excellent compost, so not a total waste. But yes, Rabbi Google is your friend here: take photos and upload via Google Lens to see what sort of plants and other pond denizens you're dealing with. Then you can make informed decisions on what to keep.

Cheers!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Keep in mind a effective bog filter size for a pond with a decent fish load is 30% of the pond surface area not your pond volume. This style of filter is going to be much more effective than anything you can buy off the shelf. Its not that hard as your imagining it to be, container bogs will work or even building a frame work for a raised bog that would waterfall back 8n to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Jhn Is spot on.
Bog surface area 30% of the pond's surface area.
You'll want your pea gravel to be at least 12 inches deep.

I am confident that your water will clear up with a properly built and sized bog. Mine did and has been since I added the bog.

Last edited:

Ask a Question