Newbie, still in the planning stages

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
We've got a couple of backyard projects going this summer and they include our first pond. Starting with a patio of square cut flagstone (materials arrive tomorrow), and while our contractor friend was doing the site prep for that I got him to use the backhoe to dig a 6'x10'x2.5' hole for a pond. It will sit just about 3' off the patio edge. Based on some reading, I was thinking about placing a bog for filtration beyond the pond as the yard slopes away nicely towards a wooded area.

Anyway, I look forward to using the forum as a resource as I move ahead with my planning and execution.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
another-fish-welcome.gif
welcome! from another marylander!

You are close to us. Love my pond and bog.

You might want to go a little deeper, just in case we have a cold winter. My large pond did freeze down 8 inches solid the first winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and yes always say go deeper less chance of problems come winter and with this heat fish need a cool spot also .

Reaction score
Welcome! Why are you putting it 3' away from the patio? The closer the better in my opinion. My favorite part of my pond is the overlook from my deck, I feel like a bird flying my backyard.

Ask a Question