Newbie to ponds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wanted a pond that is 1ft or 2ft deep below ground but also 2ft or 3ft above ground, is there a way to do this without the need for footings and foundations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe build it with solid 4x4 or 6x6 timber and tie it all together with rerod? I'm assuming you're using a liner? Seems if you tie the top well to the buried portion that there won't be any walking. JMHO

That said, you're already digging down and it's not that hard to put in a footing. Research working with concrete/footings and see if it's not doable for you. Would give the most peace of mind, I think.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is the pond we built 6 years ago. It is 10'x10' and 5' deep. It is on a slope with one side 3' below grade and back wall at grade. 2x12 lumber used with 4x4 posts set in concrete. The walls have bowed out some but less than 6".
015.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know how to do footings and concrete it's just where I live I have no rear access to my garden and my missus wouldn't appreciate me carrying bags of cement through the house that's the only reason why I was thinking of a cleaner way without footings and foundations, might just stick with a raised bed and go to maybe 4ft high, only wanted it in the ground aswell as where I live gets very cold in the winter.

Sam

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
6"x6" would work with out bowing or putting in vertical posts, if you interlocked the corners correctly. Just built a pond that is around 1.5 to 2 ft above ground and 18" below ground and 7'w x 13' long with 6x6's above ground.

My biggest concern with wood is where it contacts the ground. If you don't get wood that is treated for ground contact, it will rot out in a few years no matter how it is built. Read the tag on the wood to see what treatment it is rated for.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I know how to do footings and concrete it's just where I live I have no rear access to my garden and my missus wouldn't appreciate me carrying bags of cement through the house that's the only reason why I was thinking of a cleaner way without footings and foundations, might just stick with a raised bed and go to maybe 4ft high, only wanted it in the ground aswell as where I live gets very cold in the winter.

Sam
I'd think you'd have less worry if 2/3 were in ground and 1/3 above as far as shifting or "walking" is concerned and if it gets that cold the more in ground the better.

Part of the in ground section can simply be mounded raised ground from the excavation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Th
I'd think you'd have less worry if 2/3 were in ground and 1/3 above as far as shifting or "walking" is concerned and if it gets that cold the more in ground the better.

Part of the in ground section can simply be mounded raised ground from the excavation.
this may be the best option.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Mounding the extra dirt will work for insulating the pond as you mentioned, but wouldn't do much for the bowing of the wood. Compacting it may help abit, but if the wood is going to bow loose or recently compacted dirt isn't going to prevent it from bowing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is what I was thinking, more in the ground so there is your freezing problem fixed and less above so no worry about shifting.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Th

this may be the best option.
I used 8x4x16 cinder block stood on end, 6 inches buried 10 above ground but since I did a bad job leveling some are 12" above in the bog filter area and 4 above and dig down to 2 feet total, 8" below bottom of block in the pond area. As I was hauling all these blocks I couldn't help but think of @sissy 's thread where she must have hauled more than 5 times as many and chuckled a little. I don't know how much this can be scaled up and still have stability though.

IMG_0634.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What I think I'll be doing is make the frame as previously mentioned and on each corner there will be a cut down fence post and one In the middle of the 6/7ft length which will be put into the ground about 30/40cm and I'll use postmix to secure the posts, as mentioned previously by a member that's what they did I think it will work as I won't be going so high with the raised bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
...and I think it's a better idea to have as much of the pond below ground simply because you benefit in the winter from the warmer earth. Perhaps dig down 2-3' and have the rest above ground? That would get you enough depth to help overwinter the fish. I'd dig as low as your frostline but it seems I've heard success stories from 2' and deeper. The more your pond is above ground, the more the air can cool/freeze your water.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have rethinked my idea and come up with the following,

3ft below ground and 1ft above ground, fence posts in each corner and 2 on either side, buried 1 foot down concreted in and covering the rest in creosote, my work colleague said he wrapped some pond liner around the timber to stop the rot from setting in would this work ??, I want to avoid doing concrete like I said before as access to the garden is through the house.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pond liner around the post is going to trap moisture, which will accelerate the rotting. Just get timbers that are rated for ground contact. You will be long gone before they rot.

Ask a Question