Reaction score
Hey, during the summer we won a small 1.5" goldfish at a local carnival and it has been in a small bowl since. Myself and the kids have grown attached and understand it doesn't have a great life in a bowl and want to build a pond in our garden and get a couple more. We have started picking up everything we need and hope to get it finished by the start of November. Is it too late to add fish to a pond in November and would the fish even survive? Ps It is a common goldfish and we live in Ireland.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Larry
Go ahead and build your pond and wait till Spring when it warms up before putting your goldfish outside. I'd get him/her a friend too when the time comes to put it outdoors. How cold does it get there in winter...................I imagine it freezes a bit. It's gonna take you some time to get your pond dug and fixed up the way you want it to be best for the fish anyways. What size pond you gonna make? We can help w/any other questions you have on building it also. Just ask away :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome!

What kind of winters do you get in Ireland? If waiting for spring, then I'd also advise investing in at least a 10 gallon aquarium tank and a pump/filter set-up for little fishy in the mean time. Go ahead and buy a water test kit [liquid not strips] and start getting in the habit of regular water testing. This would also be a great time to read up on cycling a pond, as you'll want to monitor and be sure fishy's water is safe & happy for him [or her].

Happy ponding!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. Our winters vary, one year we had snow and freezing temperatures for 6 weeks where as last year we barely had a frosty morning. This years forecast is pretty mild With it looking like its gonna be still in the teens for another few weeks and then the temperature 8-10 celsius (48f) during the day in December and as low as 2-3 celsius (37f) at night.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
spider.gif
to our group!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

What kind of winters do you get in Ireland? If waiting for spring, then I'd also advise investing in at least a 10 gallon aquarium tank and a pump/filter set-up for little fishy in the mean time. Go ahead and buy a water test kit [liquid not strips] and start getting in the habit of regular water testing. This would also be a great time to read up on cycling a pond, as you'll want to monitor and be sure fishy's water is safe & happy for him [or her].

Happy ponding!

I recommend Mmathis recommendation. Good luck!

Ask a Question