Newish Pond Owner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Once the pond is fully dug and has some water in it. I am planning on making a mountain out of all the dirt that is being placed just behind the pond and creating a small tunnel for the train to go under. Then I will be focusing on making the houses look more like a small mountain town hopefully with some on the mountain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is going to look so pretty! We toured a pond once that was all designed around a HUGE train set up. I'll see if I can find a photo and post it. It was quite impressive!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps if you could add some shelves 6-9 inches deep around the perimeter you can then place plants, even still in their pots, wedged in amongst a row or two of rocks under water rather than having just a straight side to the pond. Rocks can then be placed directly over the edge of the liner on the flat ground surrounding it to disguise and hold it in place.
I like the idea of the tracks crossing the pond, but can foresee a slight problem with getting the full width of the liner to lie properly through what at the moment looks like a very constricted gap, it's going to be very folded, then will have to open out again......maybe others have a solution to what I'm seeing....or the gap could/is going to be made wider than currently shown.
Keep us updated please, this is an interesting project :)

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with the shelf, even if just 3-4 inches deep, around the entire pond, a place for the liner to be hid by rocks. Makes it look real natural. The liner comes up and out of the pond laying on the ground above, slightly higher than the ground to keep run off away from the pond. Place rocks there, poof no liner seen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Addy, and anyone else...... any thoughts on the pinch point where it goes under the track, or am I creating a problem that doesn't exist for the OP?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One note on getting your liner. Check your local Craigslist. I was able to find a pond hobbyist locally who bought liner by the roll, and he was much less expensive than online sources.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I just finished the basic dig portion of the pond today, I tried to keep the part where the bridge is going over the pond about a foot wide from top to bottom. My dad had also asked that I make the area where the old preform used to be wider towards the front tracks, so I added about a foot there. The opposite side of the pond didn't end up much wider than the gap though. I called my local pond liner dealer where they sell it by the foot and asked for the pricing on a 10x20 section, which is more than enough to cover the entirety of the railroad, and they priced it at ~$300. Thank you @Feddy for the idea to check craigslist, I would have completely missed that. @moby for that pinch point I was kind of thinking that I would cut a piece of liner specifically for that part then use glue and tape to seal the edges together.

Attachments

• Bridge finished frontside view.jpg
    Bridge finished frontside view.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 153
  • End of day 2 progress.jpg
    End of day 2 progress.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 161
  • New pond backside view.jpg
    New pond backside view.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 148
  • New pond frontside view.jpg
    New pond frontside view.jpg