Newish pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a small pond which I have goldfish , they have had fry who are 2weeks old I have green angel hair algae in the pond and weed also I have a pond fountain which keeps clogging up with algea do I remove the pump and give up and can the fish do without the circulation

Attachments

• 8A8EF0F8-0A62-495C-BAD7-DFFA15973ECC.jpeg
    8A8EF0F8-0A62-495C-BAD7-DFFA15973ECC.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 62
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's a really nice pond!
I wouldn't worry about the fish. They probably love the string algae. It gives them a good place to hide, plus they eat it too.

Dont feed the fish too much. The algae thrives on excess food and fish waste.
Some dont even feed their goldfish. Lots of natural stuff in there for them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's a really nice pond!
I wouldn't worry about the fish. They probably love the string algae. It gives them a good place to hide, plus they eat it too.

Dont feed the fish too much. The algae thrives on excess food and fish waste.
Some dont even feed their goldfish. Lots of natural stuff in there for them.
o right thank you, I feed them twice a day and I was going to get food for the fry too, don't I need it then

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1631723713050.gif
@Donna54
You could get away w/feeding your fish once a week actually. The fish could live w/o being fed. You would be surprised how many bugs etc. come into the pond that the fish eat. They nibble at that yummy Anacharis also. If you want to feed them just do it now and then. I only feed my goldfish maybe once a week as I do like them to come rushing to greet me for a snack. You don't need to treat the fry any different then the grown fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 142677@Donna54
You could get away w/feeding your fish once a week actually. The fish could live w/o being fed. You would be surprised how many bugs etc. come into the pond that the fish eat. They nibble at that yummy Anacharis also. If you want to feed them just do it now and then. I only feed my goldfish maybe once a week as I do like them to come rushing to greet me for a snack. You don't need to treat the fry any different then the grown fish.
thanks they do come up when I feed them, maybe once a day for now then.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Very nice pond. Feed them less you will have less algae. Mine get fed maybe once a month some summers not at all. They are all big and fat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I have a small pond which I have goldfish , they have had fry who are 2weeks old I have green angel hair algae in the pond and weed also I have a pond fountain which keeps clogging up with algea do I remove the pump and give up and can the fish do without the circulation
Welcome! I would keep the fountain going if possible. Does the pump have a prefilter? If not, please post a picture of the pump and perhaps we can help you craft something to protect it from fouling as quickly. How deep is the pond? Have you made winter plans?

Ask a Question