Newts or newt eggs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't have a way to send newts to you but I do have a thought to share. This year I have been focused on building my backyard pond - so I have really neglected the front yard pond. I do have a skimmer that catches most debris but I normally would get in with a net and make sure I had most leaves and things cleaned up. This year, I haven't been as diligent. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but I have newts this year. I think their preferred habitat includes a little more debris to hide in. I am sure it is a tricky balance. Too much will affect water quality. But this year, I seem to have hit the Newt Sweet Spot!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1658243649191.gif
@Looby loo

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Looby loo Hello and welcome!

You might want to ask around closer to where you live, or check out specific members here who are in the UK. Most of us are in the US, and even if it is legal to transport them (is it? IDK), not sure they could survive the transit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have a way to send newts to you but I do have a thought to share. This year I have been focused on building my backyard pond - so I have really neglected the front yard pond. I do have a skimmer that catches most debris but I normally would get in with a net and make sure I had most leaves and things cleaned up. This year, I haven't been as diligent. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but I have newts this year. I think their preferred habitat includes a little more debris to hide in. I am sure it is a tricky balance. Too much will affect water quality. But this year, I seem to have hit the Newt Sweet Spot!
newts go for the decaying wood and leaf matter and the bacteria and fungus that grows from it.

Ask a Question