Salamander/newt?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I have this cute guy living in my pond (there is at least another adult as well, and half a dozen egg pouches attached to the milk crates supporting the plants). Seems they are getting along with the fish.

Does anyone know which species of salamander or newt?

Just curious.

Thanks,
CG

Attachments

• IMG_8834.jpg
    IMG_8834.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 45

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Cool above pond viewing container! Not an expert on salamanders or newts, but I am sure someone here will be able to help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the aquatic stage of a Taricha newt. There are two similar species in the S.F. Bay Area: California Newt (Taricha torosa) and Rough-skinned Newt (Taricha granulosa). Any possibility of taking some close up shots? A profile shot of the head and eyes would be especially useful for identification.

It will be interesting to see if this newt will want to remain aquatic. They are often terrestrial when not breeding.
Note, they are quite poisonous if eaten, so don't eat it.... They are not venomous, just poisonous.
I expect they would eat very small fish and fry, but I doubt they would try to eat something they can't swallow whole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is the aquatic stage of a Taricha newt. There are two similar species in the S.F. Bay Area: California Newt (Taricha torosa) and Rough-skinned Newt (Taricha granulosa). Any possibility of taking some close up shots? A profile shot of the head and eyes would be especially useful for identification.

It will be interesting to see if this newt will want to remain aquatic. They are often terrestrial when not breeding.
Note, they are quite poisonous if eaten, so don't eat it.... They are not venomous, just poisonous.
I expect they would eat very small fish and fry, but I doubt they would try to eat something they can't swallow whole.
oh dayum, Marck; me and Dime had 'newt' on the menu for the weekend, you know, when the bosses were to come in and...hmm, maybe we DON'T hafta change plans after all! ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well it's some kind of lizardy looking thing that lives in water is all I know. Does one of those things have gills w/fringy things sticking out of them?

Me thinks we could add those to the moat but I want the kind w/sharp teeth :vamp:

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Well it's some kind of lizardy looking thing that lives in water is all I know. Does one of those things have gills w/fringy things sticking out of them?

Me thinks we could add those to the moat but I want the kind w/sharp teeth :vamp:
You better hope the axolotle gang doesn’t run upon this!

They are almost as bad as the tang gang over on r2r ( nothing wrong with opposing animal mistreatment, but you waterdog isn’t going to die because you have 2 grains of sand in the tank, natures rivers and lakes don’t have perfectly clean glass bottoms )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States

I'll try to take close up shots if possible... They seem to be a bit shy when they hear voices or see humans nearby. The fish on the other hand gather to the edge of the pond when they hear me :cool:

Seems like fish and newt cohabit alright, as they have been there for many years now. They don't seem to prevent new fry, as I saw somewhere around 6-8 new fish this year.

I saw once a goldfish try to swallow a baby newt whole, with half the newt body already inside the fish. Yuck. I don't know if the fish completed his meal or not. :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You better hope the axolotle gang doesn’t run upon this!

They are almost as bad as the tang gang over on r2r ( nothing wrong with opposing animal mistreatment, but you waterdog isn’t going to die because you have 2 grains of sand in the tank, natures rivers and lakes don’t have perfectly clean glass bottoms )
ooooh, we gots us an axolotl gang now???? Where do I sign up? Didn't get no text 'bout it...dayum nobody tells me nuthin'!!

Ask a Question