Next new pond

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking I want to phase some of these big guys out and specialize in mini and dwarfs. My SO wanted me to post about how we underestimated the lilies left in the pond. I said I think people on the forum already understand we are some sort of nuts.

If we don't run out of places to store lilies we should finish lifting them from the pond tomorrow. Then we get to the fun and sad part. Sorting and culling the fish. Plan to take pictures.

Reaction score
I enjoy reading and seeing all your lily pictures, but to be honest, my thoughts to each set of pictures are along the lines of OMG LOL ... I think hubby would have a blast at your place LOL. I want him to get down to 2 pots of each color as I know how he progresses (the must have more, and in different colors LOL) ... the good news is since I promised he could have a lily pond (bought the liner today), I have another spot to grow out fish LOL.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
capewind said:
I enjoy reading and seeing all your lily pictures, but to be honest, my thoughts to each set of pictures are along the lines of OMG LOL ... I think hubby would have a blast at your place LOL. I want him to get down to 2 pots of each color as I know how he progresses (the must have more, and in different colors LOL) ... the good news is since I promised he could have a lily pond (bought the liner today), I have another spot to grow out fish LOL.
For lilies flat bottom ponds work best. If you have to go more then 2 feet deep for ice use a flat bottom pond with removable benches to set the lilies on. But my big suggestion is that the pond be made in 2 or more compartments that flood together when full. That way you can pump one compartment empty and the other compartment(s) will only be down a few inches.

This works great for cleaning. You move all the plants and fish to one side and pump the other dry. Suck up the mud with a shop vac then let the sun dry the pond and sweep up the rest. Works great.

This illustration shows 3 compartments but 2 will work just as well. I am not suggesting you build on that big.

Pond1.jpg

Reaction score
Depth is still a bit in the air, as we should go 3' plus being in the Northeast, but steep sides and flat bottom are already planned. We have a week or two to figure it out. I also picked up a liner for a client today, so their pond has to get done first .. hold up is both ponds will be using skippy type filters, and the stock tanks are not in yet:-( His lilies WILL be potted, but open to all other ideas:)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Be sure to show you hubby the idea of making the pond in several compartments.

We finished removing the last of the plants today. How the rush is to get the pond ready before they die or rot.

Drained the pond and started removing the fish. With luck we will get the last of the fish and water out tomorrow. Then give the sun a few days to dry out the mud. Remove the liner and replace it with the one that will eventually end up in about this location.

We had to work fast so I did not get much of a chance to look at the fish but there are some nice ones.

Reaction score
He really liked your idea til I started complaining LOL. As much as I enjoy your pictures, he will never have the quanties of lilies you have, To keep HIM under control, I am not giving an inch here... his lilies will be potted:) I know how this goes LOL. We were pondless for awhile, and he still had to go buy a lily ... then another ... then when we got the current pond in, he tried to tell me he needed another color .. a friend sent me a couple of tiny babies (which did bloom last year - I was amazed LOL) ... Then already this spring he started with the he would like to have a couple more, different colors. A GPF member sent him 3 more colors ... A few days ago, we had to swing by a nursery .. take a wild guess what he was looking at!!! He says he was JUST LOOKING .... Ya, about that LOL. If I wasnt with him, he would have likely come home with another! I dont want to have to play "Where's Waldo" to see my 100+ baby koi going in there too LOL.

Reaction score
I still have a lot to learn, but hubby had been pushing the point of sloped bottoms and circulation for maintenance reasons ... I know he is doing this one with a flat bottom, and I have concerns of that, and dividers are just going to add to that. I'm seeing divided areas as place for muck to sit and build up, requiring more cleaning.

I dont see the minor cleaning we do as stressful ... running the net along the bottom to get leaves and muck isnt an issue ... damn fish chase the dang thing and swim INTO IT ... I guess that's my fault for making them friendly LOL.

I do like the concept, but just think it would only really benefit us if he had a lot more plants, or were not potting them.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If you have a flat bottom pond you are going to have to clean the muck oiut. Adding a divider makes it less of a chore.

On non flat bottom ponds I prefer lots of slope leading to bottom drain(s). If designed well everything goes down the drain.

I do not see where potted on unpotted has an impact.

The bottom line is your pond. Your choice. I am not trying to force my thinking on you.

Reaction score
HTH said:
I am not trying to force my thinking on you.
Im not taking it in that manner at all ... appreciate the input. I am not an installer, and cant think like one, so the oppurtunity to consider other ideas helps me learn:)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
We opted to dry the pond out then remove the damp mud which will weigh a fraction of what the sludge did.

This AM I noticed the first cracks in the mud. Waiting for the pond to dry up is a lot like watching paint dry but slower. So finding the cracks is a joyous event. Need to get out more.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3009]

We did not get anything done yesterday but the day prior we divided an entire lift of lilies. I will try to get some pics of how we are doing that soon.

Eventually we will finish with the cleanup and get back to construction.

Reaction score
So much work, and really enjoy watching the progress, but really had to laugh at your anology to watching paint dry ... been there LOL.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
No pictures today but a progress update. I shoveled the mostly dried up stuff off the south 1/3 or so of the pond. Then I used the backhoe to make a ramp down into the pond so I could drive go-put and cart down on to the pond floor. Much easier then filling the cart sitting on the bank. About 1/2 of the pond has had the major stuff removed. Once what is left dries it can be removed. Bottom is on the bumpy side which make shoveling hard as I do not want to harm the liner. Next time I am going to soak the floor first then lay the liner. The theory is that any lumps left will be smashed flat.

The easy stuff is gone. What is left is too deep to dry in a reasonable amount of time. It is the consistency of pudding

Did a 80% water change for the fish. No progress on the lilies as my SO was not doing well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep plugging away! it will be done eventually, lots of work. Hope you SO is doing better.

Ask a Question