Not concerned.....just another question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since I am new at ponding.....I have noticed that anytime it rains the next day the water coming out of the waterfall seems to foam.... This last weekend after the snow.... It is still foaming... On bright sunshine days with warm temperatures....no foam.... The water chemistry is right.... Donald and Hillary are doing great..... Inquiring minds want to know.... Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since I am new at ponding.....I have noticed that anytime it rains the next day the water coming out of the waterfall seems to foam.... This last weekend after the snow.... It is still foaming... On bright sunshine days with warm temperatures....no foam.... The water chemistry is right.... Donald and Hillary are doing great..... Inquiring minds want to know.... Jimmy
Especially you "Meyer".... Even though you are a little bit "Gruff"... You are the knowledge base of ponding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gee! @Meyer Jordan seems to be getting a bad rap lately! He's a nice guy!

Anyway, I'll stick my neck out on this one. Foaming is probably caused by DOCs or dissolved organic compounds. Basically what it sounds like - organic material in the water that creates the foam especially where you have agitation like a waterfall. We generally get a bit of foaming in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

Anyway, I'll stick my neck out on this one. Foaming is probably caused by DOCs or dissolved organic compounds. Basically what it sounds like - organic material in the water that creates the foam especially where you have agitation like a waterfall. We generally get a bit of foaming in the spring.
Please folks do not think I am giving Meyer a hard time..... He is a wealth of knowledge.... I spent 6 months researching.....before I built my pond..... Reading web sites and forums.... Not just this one..... His knowledge of pond biology and construction is far beyond anything I will ever know..... So let me change my wording.... Meyer is "Straight Forward".... Lol Jimmy

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

I agree......Grrrrrrrr!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Please folks do not think I am giving Meyer a hard time..... He is a wealth of knowledge.... I spent 6 months researching.....before I built my pond..... Reading web sites and forums.... Not just this one..... His knowledge of pond biology and construction is far beyond anything I will ever know..... So let me change my wording.... Meyer is "Straight Forward".... Lol Jimmy

At my age I am elated that I can still get at least one thing "straight forward'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree with Lisak. Typically foaming is caused by dissolved organics. Think how laundry detergent is made. So the question is what does the rain do to cause that? My guess is either it is disturbing something that has settled at the bottom of your pond or it is carrying something into your pond as rainwater flows into it. Since you know your pond better than we do maybe you can answer that. Is your pond fairly shallow like 2 ft depth or less? A hard rain would certainly stir it up. Are you getting run off from the ground into your pond when it rains? it could be carrying all sorts of stuff into your pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But back on subject..... I seem to only get the foaming after a rain.... I have edpm material under all the rocks around my waterfall and have the landscape sloped away into my pond , so no organic from the outside gets into the pond
I agree with Lisak. Typically foaming is caused by dissolved organics. Think how laundry detergent is made. So the question is what does the rain do to cause that? My guess is either it is disturbing something that has settled at the bottom of your pond or it is carrying something into your pond as rainwater flows into it. Since you know your pond better than we do maybe you can answer that. Is your pond fairly shallow like 2 ft depth or less? A hard rain would certainly stir it up. Are you getting run off from the ground into your pond when it rains? it could be carrying all sorts of stuff into your pond.
50% of my pond is 48" deep.... 25% is 36" deep and 25 % is 24" deep sloping to 12" at the base of the waterfall..... No rocks or gravel on the bottom..... Just liner ( which is a lovely shade of green ...lol ) except for about 2 feet from the waterfall.... I took great care to shape my landscape around my waterfall so no outside water would come in..... And after a heavy rain no discoloration and no residue on the bottom.... I am wondering if it is residue from the rocks that make up my waterfall and the surrounding area..... I bought Arkansas Flagstone....from a local landscaper.... But as I post this came home the foam is gone.... Water temperature is 50 ... Donald and Hillary haven't been fed since Saturday.... They were dissapointed when I went out to check on them as shy as they are they actually will swim about half way across the pond then sit there and look at me waiting to be fed.... Sorry guys.... Low tonight and tomorrow night is 20 .... By Saturday back to 70....…such is West Tennessee and thanks for you guys opinion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But back on subject..... I seem to only get the foaming after a rain.... I have edpm material under all the rocks around my waterfall and have the landscape sloped away into my pond , so no organic from the outside gets into the pond

50% of my pond is 48" deep.... 25% is 36" deep and 25 % is 24" deep sloping to 12" at the base of the waterfall..... No rocks or gravel on the bottom..... Just liner ( which is a lovely shade of green ...lol ) except for about 2 feet from the waterfall.... I took great care to shape my landscape around my waterfall so no outside water would come in..... And after a heavy rain no discoloration and no residue on the bottom.... I am wondering if it is residue from the rocks that make up my waterfall and the surrounding area..... I bought Arkansas Flagstone....from a local landscaper.... But as I post this came home the foam is gone.... Water temperature is 50 ... Donald and Hillary haven't been fed since Saturday.... They were dissapointed when I went out to check on them as shy as they are they actually will swim about half way across the pond then sit there and look at me waiting to be fed.... Sorry guys.... Low tonight and tomorrow night is 20 .... By Saturday back to 70....…such is West Tennessee and thanks for you guys opinion
Also say a little prayer for my br
Check the Phosphorus level of the pond water.[/QUOTE
OK I will..... But how do you do that.... Is there a test kit that I can get to do that?

Ask a Question