Concerned about sun screen in water???

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IDK, but I plan around not using sunscreen or insect repellent if I know I’m going to be messing with the pond. Small amounts might not be harmful, but I like to play it safe. The smaller space of a backyard pond isn’t as forgiving as say, a recreational lake. Just MHO, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
It depends on the size of the pond and the sunscreen you use, but generally, yes I would be concerned. They make arm length gloves that are pretty cheap online. I use them whenever working in my pond or fish tanks. They keep both the fish and us safe.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Someone posted a couple of years ago about a concern regarding using mosquito repellent and working in the pond. Since most sunscreens are oil based, best to avoid letting it get in the water. I use a lot of Deep Woods Off, I'm a tick magnet and occasionally a small amount gets in the pond. My ponds are both large so I am not concerned but with a small pond, best to be cautious.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A very small amount should not hurt. I teach scuba and make sure my students know the hazards of large amounts of sun screen on the coral reefs. I also heard Disney had a real problem of sunscreen harming their snorkeling reef at Typhoon Lagoon years ago. Not sure how they handled it. But just to be sure, why not just take the hose and scrub brush it off your arm before doing maintenance? It is only for a few minutes and then you can reapply. They also sell arm protection https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25864 and if you really can't wash it off, consider getting a pair of commercial dishwasher gloves that go up to your biceps.
Stephen

Ask a Question