NOVA, NATURE and the AMERICAN EXPERIENCE

Reaction score
How many of you watch PBS? It used to be a household staple as a TV channel for everyone. But, nowadays I don't know if anyone thinks of it as anything more than a station to watch Sesame Street. It is MUCH more than that.

I watch PBS all the time from several different sources and from several different states. Having a FTA satellite dish, I can get PBS from Iowa, Louisiana, Montana, Oklahoma and the main national PBS feeds that supply every state's local PBS channels with programming.

You have the opportunity to view PBS for free. Don't pass it up. Look at the shows they offer in more detail as there is much more available on PBS than Sesame Street. Take for instance the programs like NOVA and NATURE. If you like nature, biology, astronomy, science and history, you really should pay attention to these programs on your local OTA PBS stations.

I just finished watching 'Inside Natures Giants: Sperm Whale'.

Veterinary scientist Mark Evans and comparative anatomist Joy Reidenberg dissect a sperm whale's enormous organs to reveal the secrets of this 45-foot deep-sea giant, which stranded and died on Pegwell Bay, Kent, England. As the team ventures inside the whale, biologist Simon Watt tracks whales in the Azores with a modern-day Jonah, Malcolm Clarke, who shows him the huge number of squid beaks in a whale's stomach. Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, marveling at the gigantic teeth that have evolved in the lower jaw of a sperm whale, digs out his copy of the King James Bible for a reading about Leviathan from the Book of Job.

Now I am watching a program about Custer, General Armstrong Custer. His biography and history in a documentary fashion. This is really good, but I love the more nature driven programs like Ken Burns films about Yellowstone National Park and Yosemite and Alaska. I really urge everyone to look into PBS if you are not watching it frequently already. If you know the schedule so that you can catch one of the three shows I listed in the title of this post, you will have awesome entertainment for the whole family.

Now that almost all local stations OTA (Over The Air) are digital and all new television sets are geared for this, you can get MANY TV stations for FREE with a very inexpensive antenna. Heck, to be honest, even sticking a piece of wire in the TV antenna input will get quite a few channels if you play around with it a bit. The local HDTV digital channels will be much more brilliant and of better picture quality than a repeat over cable TV. You can detect the difference. The cable company has to doctor the signal so that they can pipe it down the cable to your home. If you have a OTA antenna, you don't pay for the subscription fees and get the video raw and fresh from the TV station if it is available locally. Because the signal is not compressed to fit the cable companies electronics, you receive the best picture and audio quality directly from the source.

Everyone should have access to a PBS station in their area via OTA antenna and most often, it should be available on your satellite or cable feed. The main point I wish to stress is to watch it more often. There is just so many programs aired on PBS which befit our nature oriented styles that it shouldn't be ignored.

If you agree with me, please respond and share your support here. Personally, I do not have any affiliation with PBS. However, I don't like paying for television service and haven't ever done so in my life, EVER!

A simple $26-$32 digital antenna from Walmart or Radio Shack can get you many HDTV channels for free and that is all the money you need to spend. If you are out in the boonies, I can tell you how to set up a satellite dish and get a bunch of channels for free, too. Legally. With no subscription fees, just the cost of the equipment and some DIY time. It's well worth it if you like a hobby, but it's not HBO.

Well, I am straying from my intended topic and that was to get more people to look into PBS. Please post your support for PBS here and discuss your opinions.

Gordy

TVPG.jpg
DVS.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our antenna pulls 60 some stations out of the air, a handful are different languages. The main stations are 60 some miles from us.

Reaction score
Our antenna pulls 60 some stations out of the air, a handful are different languages. The main stations are 60 some miles from us.

You get a LOT Addy! I only get about 23-27 stations OTA, but I get about 700 via my FTA satellite link. They are all free, but many are not really worth much unless you speak Farsi or Korean or something. But, I do get dozens of GREAT English channels if I put up with all the rest (since they are all free, I never complain). PBS is ultimately the best. What excellent, educational programs they have.

I bring the subject up here because I expect most everyone here has a similar interest... Knowledge and interest.

I always state that I never pay for TV, but I do because I send donations to PBS. That's not really paying for TV service, but it is paying in a way. It's alright with me.

I really hope I have influenced a few to pay closer attention to PBS. I think it is valuable, beneficial and important.

Gordy

B

Burd

I have Comcast, I get Flint and Detroit PBS. Sometimes both are diff. Your rite, it does seem like less is on these days, seems like a,ways some British drama crap.

Ask a Question