Nutrition and heart attack rate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We don't have steroids in our meat in Canada, so thank goodness for that. I tend to get free range meat and eggs and often by from a local vendor at the Farmers Market, which is organic and the cows are happy cows that eat lots of grass.

Vegan sisters tried to force their vegan crap down my throat and now I have a "vegan chip on my shoulder" and even the word Vegan annoys me.... so you will have to forgive me

I understand, no one likes to have stuff forced on them. Fortunately my daughter isn't pushy in the least :) I am neither vegan, or vegetarian....I enjoy meat / poultry, occasionally :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am doing two beautiful rib roasts for Christmas, cooked slow, you can cut them with a fork. The taste is so good! We cook some every year this time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep have seen them on garden shows addy .Our chickens just ran free but when my mom rang the bell they headed for there coop and the good feed they were getting .Even new chickens learned fast what the bell meant real fast .Then mom would go out in the morning for the eggs .We had mostly banty chickens .My mom thought they were smarter than the regular chickens we had .It was so funny to see the chickens follow my mom around .It is a good memory of my mom .:)makes me miss her more :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
There have been numerous studies from a myriad of respectable researchers on the correlation between nutrition and health. I have deduced the following:

1. The Japanese eat very little fat, lots or rice and fish and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and starchy food yet suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine yet the incidence of heart attacks is below that of Americans...
5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of fatty sausages yet suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

In conclusion, I have deduced that it is not the consumption of fatty foods or alcohol that contributes largely to cardiac events, it is rather the language spoken that determines the rate of cardiac events.

There are a lot of factors that affect the rate. The type of food is not critical as the BMI. All the above countries have a lower BMI on average than the US. We can argue on why the BMI is higher in the US.... content of processed food, type of red meat (beef vs. mutton), food container sizes, hours driving per day, number of working hours per day etc etc etc...

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My dad was an organic farmer back when organic was not a key word (60's) The people came to our house to buy food and they could see how it was grown and knew that it was picked that day .We even sold to McAteers restaurant on Easton Ave . they came every morning to pick up there stuff .My father was very fussy about it .He was even certified by Rutgers University and they would bring students to the farm.I remember them and there visits .We only raised chickens to get bugs .
What about the eggs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can remember "back in the day" watching my grandmother fix granddad's breakfast. Every morning she would fry up a half dozen pieces of bacon, put bread in the toaster, then while the bacon sat on a plate she would break three eggs into the iron skillet the bacon was fried in and spoon the hot bacon grease over the eggs to cook them. By the time the toast was done, so were the eggs. She would put the eggs on the plate the bacon had sat on, get out a tub of real butter, gather the toast and set it before Austin. He'd dig out a chunk of butter smear it on the toast with some jam and he was good to go. Grandmother would fix our breakfasts, then she'd eat last. There were no hard rules about this, it's just the way they and their generation were.
When Granddad died no one said it was his diet that killed him - he "just wore out too soon". He was only 96.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sad I have baking all day and only have time for some cold spaghettio's and a cup of coffee .Took 2 apple pies to 2 of my neighbors and they are alone for christmas so now added 2 more guests to my house for christmas dinner .I remember my mom and I making and canning our own jelly and jam and we got home made butter in trade for tomato's and she made her own bread .The eggs we kept some and McAteers took some that my mom could not use in a day .Nothing ever went to waste .Back then people worked hard for a living and now most sit at a desk or the bad ones do drugs and blame every one but themselves .They are weak

Ask a Question