addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put plunge pools in my long stream at the base of every water fall, no matter the size. The critters love them, frogs, plants, the bees drink from them. I made a two small, wish I had made them bigger, but they work well with my set up.

Agree with meyer, make them deep, mine are all 10 inches plus. It does help against the splash. And you can have anacharis in the pools as a added plant filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I put plunge pools in my long stream at the base of every water fall, no matter the size. The critters love them, frogs, plants, the bees drink from them. I made a two small, wish I had made them bigger, but they work well with my set up.

Agree with meyer, make them deep, mine are all 10 inches plus. It does help against the splash. And you can have anacharis in the pools as a added plant filter.
I think I'm going to go for it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@bagsmom First of all, YOU ARE AN ARTIST! Wow, that sketch is great! And 2nd, every time I glance at the title of this thread in the listings, "One fall or 2?" instead of picturing a waterfall, I see a vision of your falling in the hole while working on it, LOL! Sorry, but you brought up all the precautions you are taking in case you do fall, so that's what my crazy brain wants to remember.
Thank you! I like to piddle around and draw from time to time. It's been years! It was fun to do!

Don't apologize for laughing -- I am guessing if we were talking about me falling down, it would be called "one fall or 23?"
When I was dating my husband, he took me mountain biking. (That is funny in itself, since I don't really like to bike ride. And mountain biking? What? I was young...) Anyway, I stopped at the top of a hill and got off the bike to rest. There were some young dudes coming up the same hill. As I was watching them, standing next to my bike, TOTALLY STATIONARY, mind you -- I fell down. From a standing position, doing nothing. Some pebbles slid out from under my feet, and and there I went. The boys all came to help, saying "are you ok?" I was mortified.

Hmmm. Maybe I need one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" buttons before I start digging!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
but remember look at the energy consumption chart for the pump .If it costs way to much to run is it worth the cost .I have seen pumps that use almost 850 watts and more .I looked at the cost of running it 24/7 and almost fainted .It would cost more than running my heat pump for 1 night on reserve heat on the coldest night .Imagine that 24/7
Thank you for bringing this up, Sissy!
When I was budgeting and planning, I was only thinking about the cost of the materials and equipment. Totally forgot about operating cost. I talked to my pond guy about it. He is great! He's been in the business for many years and is so helpful. He said that I can return the pump if I want, and we can talk about other options -- but that one performs well given my (up front) pond budget. Bottom line, I could probably find one cheaper to run, but it would cost quite a bit more -- so there are trade offs.
He gave a math example using his 10 cent per kw hour rate where he lives. He said it is about 21 dollars a month. Our kw hour rate is 7 cents and that is with the summer rate hike.
We used to spend much more than that on cat food and litter (before the sweeties died at age 19!) And we spent a LOT more than that on diapers when our kids were babies.
So -- this is fine. I mow the lawn for my neighbor and she pays me 20.00. That can be my electrical cost money!
Do you like the way I rationalized that?
;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What also is the warranty and ratings on the pump .I went laguna 4 year warranty and the 2900 gph uses about 55 to 65 watts .When I clean it it uses less wattage .I clean it now every 2 months to keep the cage openings clear .I figure the savings are worth the little extra work .The 2400 uses around 35 to 45 and is also a laguna and found when I first got them the bigger the hose the less wattage they used .i had a 1 1/4 inch sump pump hose and changed to a 1 1/2 sump pump hose

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow @bagsmom I love your drawing! I believe my waterfall is similar to the one you want to build. It is a little less than 3 feet high and drops into a 'turkey platter' size pool. As you see in the picture below there is some splashing, but as Meyer suggested make sure the pool is at least 6" deep to keep the splashing to a minimum.
waterfall (2).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Wow @bagsmom I love your drawing! I believe my waterfall is similar to the one you want to build. It is a little less than 3 feet high and drops into a 'turkey platter' size pool. As you see in the picture below there is some splashing, but as Meyer suggested make sure the pool is at least 6" deep to keep the splashing to a minimum.
View attachment 94981
Thank you! I can only hope my pond will turn out as pretty as yours! Gorgeous!

Ask a Question