one of my fish is hurt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fix the water feed the fish quality food I also use a product called koi zyme it is very effective in healing wounds. Especially this time of year. I had a fish get trapped between two rocks scraped 50% of her scales off ended up with two ulcers on each side of her thought for sure she was going to die my water quality was excellent I did salt bath her the first 48 hours to balance the fluids. And then use koi zyme. She turned completely White she was orange but she healed completely and lived to see another season. Spawning accident

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
my parents and I have considered salt baths to try and improve it as we don't have the things to help the pH and KH yet. would it be a bad idea because of a weakened immune system and the harmful minerals in the water?
Test the water before you do anything further.
Most local fish or pond stores will test the water for free.

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'v tested the water again today, and the water hardness is not getting better, but we've got something to bring it down and hopefully that will take effect asap

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for all of your help, but today my fish is turning on its side and the infection is everywhere on it. this might be its final day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It would help if you could give us a complete picture of your pond water chemistry and maintenance routine.
That includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH, GH, temperature, PH, plus what time you take the PH morning or evening. Measurements at morning and evening are helpful.
Your GH is ok, your high KH isn't that much of an issue on it's own. High KH prevents a sudden drop in PH.
Use a liquid drop test kit instead of strips.

It may be too late for this fish, but if you would like to add more fish in the future, it's very important that you have good water quality.

Mif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was right about the death. it died from the infection just last night. I should ask my dad if we can go to the nearest fishing shop and get everything checked out with a water drop test, but for now I have the temperature. on the surface it was 11 degrees and the fish wouldn't be happy if I stuck my hand in to get the below water temperature. I took this at 10 AM.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Don't worry about the fish getting upset over you checking the water temperature. They'll get over it.
Water temperature is important. Air temperature is not for now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Goldfish injury, scraped off a few scales - One of my large goldfish got caught in a wire mesh and in freeing itself it lost a couple of scales. Should I be concerned about this? So far I do not notice anything particular about the fish's behavoir, and there are no abrasions. just three or four scales flaked off in the incident. Can this make the fish prone to a disease? Should I add anything into the water as a preventative? It's about a 450 gallon pond with 6 larger goldfish (5 to 8 inch) and 13 (2 to 3 inch young that hatched in there last year). (total of 19 fish).

Ask a Question