Oops... 2 New koi headed my way!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, your fish are gorgeous and I'm happy you're so pleased with them :)

I think I've abandoned the idea of a chagoi for now. I'm unable to set up a QT as the outside of the house is being painted. I've decided to spend the money on a new filter, in hopes it reduces my pond maintenance. Anyone heard of a shower filter? The one I'm getting is called a Japanese Lantern shower filter and my pressurized filter will feed it, then the water will spill from the shower lantern filter into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Well, your fish are gorgeous and I'm happy you're so pleased with them :)

I think I've abandoned the idea of a chagoi for now. I'm unable to set up a QT as the outside of the house is being painted. I've decided to spend the money on a new filter, in hopes it reduces my pond maintenance. Anyone heard of a shower filter? The one I'm getting is called a Japanese Lantern shower filter and my pressurized filter will feed it, then the water will spill from the shower lantern filter into the pond.
Do you have a link for the filter you bought? I'm interested in learning more about it. And someday @Tula a Chagoi will find its way into your life. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
http://dwkoi.com

I bought their Japanese Lantern Shower Filter. It cost $400 + $65 S/H. Zac Penn is the owner and there are quite a few threads / articles on his filtration on a koi forum. Though they obviously manufacture a lot of high end equipment, he worked with me to find a good biological filter within my budget. You can google images of it and even watch a short video of it operation. I'll be sending water from my pressurized filter, to this filter.

I know so many of our members have built great biological filters themselves, but my pond is "land locked" by a stone patio and I'm not super handy. I think this will look very nice, a simple design :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love my shubunkin's! Really enjoy seeing all the different colors that come out when they start making kids, all different varieties.
How large will shubunkins get before they start reproducing? I just got a few that are 2-3". I assume those are pretty young.

@C-Note pretty fish. I love the first one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Which koi dod you loose Casrrie you didnt say but sad that you did, all ours are ready for the show.
Added to the list of fish to be shown [but not sure where it goes yet], as I think that the new Ochiba we got this year may have to be prefixed by "Kinginrin".
There is also a stunning little asagi which will be on its first ever show too :Happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Which koi dod you loose Casrrie you didnt say but sad that you did, all ours are ready for the show.
Added to the list of fish to be shown [but not sure where it goes yet], as I think that the new Ochiba we got this year may have to be prefixed by "Kinginrin".
There is also a stunning little asagi which will be on its first ever show too :Happy:

Dave
Weather permitting, I'm headed to my first koi show on Saturday!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Weather permitting, I'm headed to my first koi show on Saturday!
Tula we wish you the best of luck in your first koi show :happy:however I will warn you 23 shows in its ever so slightly addictive.
We have a mantle full of prizes and no more room for them and Rosette's coming out of our ears .
Its normally a very long day , we have to have a team of helpers nowadays .
How far do you have to travel to get to the show , are you going to be taking Oxygen with you ?
You'll need cardboard or polystreene boxs to transport the koi in .
Remember to take dechrorinator/dechloromine for emergencies
You'll need large size plastic bags , you'll need to double bag and take plenty of spares
You'll need black bin liners to cover the fish and stop them freaking out .
Oxygen or air [if you havent a bottle of oxygen use the air line from your airpump], with a hose large enough to quickly pump air into your bags [normally the longer the journey then the use of oxygen], or own trip is just 5-8 miles so we use air
Take along plenty of elastic bands one per bag [when double bagging]
Your nets [you can disinfect them on site.
Camera
Money /entry fee/spending money/gas money
Place your koi across the axle of the car i:e not facing forwards but across the axle [this stops bag burns should you have to pull up sharply.
Take it easy on any bends .
Sometimes and I must bring this to your attention koi have bleeds in the bags , should this happen then change the water when you can, dont panic [as we did the first time it happened] :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/art...oi-or-goldfish-bleed-during-transportation.2/

If the koi in question keeps having bleeds then I suggest like we did you retire that koi from the show arena .
Your at the start of your showing of your fish this will be the penultimate show for us as we aim to retire after 25 years of showing koi at the Plymouth koi show .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula we wish you the best of luck in your first koi show :happy:however I will warn you 23 shows in its ever so slightly addictive.
We have a mantle full of prizes and no more room for them and Rosette's coming out of our ears .
Its normally a very long day , we have to have a team of helpers nowadays .
How far do you have to travel to get to the show , are you going to be taking Oxygen with you ?
You'll need cardboard or polystreene boxs to transport the koi in .
Remember to take dechrorinator/dechloromine for emergencies
You'll need large size plastic bags , you'll need to double bag and take plenty of spares
You'll need black bin liners to cover the fish and stop them freaking out .
Oxygen or air [if you havent a bottle of oxygen use the air line from your airpump], with a hose large enough to quickly pump air into your bags [normally the longer the journey then the use of oxygen], or own trip is just 5-8 miles so we use air
Take along plenty of elastic bands one per bag [when double bagging]
Your nets [you can disinfect them on site.
Camera
Money /entry fee/spending money/gas money
Place your koi across the axle of the car i:e not facing forwards but across the axle [this stops bag burns should you have to pull up sharply.
Take it easy on any bends .
Sometimes and I must bring this to your attention koi have bleeds in the bags , should this happen then change the water when you can, dont panic [as we did the first time it happened] :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/art...oi-or-goldfish-bleed-during-transportation.2/

If the koi in question keeps having bleeds then I suggest like we did you retire that koi from the show arena .
Your at the start of your showing of your fish this will be the penultimate show for us as we aim to retire after 25 years of showing koi at the Plymouth koi show .

Dave,
I'm not showing any koi, mine are pond mutts :) I'm traveling from Cincinnati to a show being sponsored by the Dayton Koi Club....about 45 minutes away. The club is small, 7 dedicated members. I'm anxious to meet fellow koi lovers and learn more:)

I doubt I'll purchase a koi, as the weather hasn't cooperated and I haven't been able to set up a QT tank...non stop rain and storms. I've been told to bring my umbrella, although they're set up under a acrylic roof area. Still, I'm quite excited and they're having an auction the following week!

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice looking fish. I just bought a Yamabuki, Green Chagoi, 2 Ochibas and a Saragoi.

Ask a Question