Oops... 2 New koi headed my way!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you are showing we wish you the best of British Luck as we say , even if you arent I feel sure this will be an eye opener to you :)
If there are any koi books up for grabs buy them and we hope you get your green.olive green Chagoi from the Guest dealership.
Purchasing that Chagio the rule of thumb obviously in that all the koi for sale are healthy ask to see the chagio's and then listen to what people have to say about it around you.
It all however depends on the dealer what colour chagoi he has anything from Olive Green through Green to orangy Brown in colour.
Make sure it has Body to it .
Dont buy if it isnt right i;e too big in the head, too thin in the body .
Make sure the fins are the correct size they are not damaged nor are any scales [this can indicate bad handling or illness].
Have a chat to the dealer tell him your idea of a perfect chagoi he may be able to help , lastly take extra money with you because you always end up with more than one koi or a more expensive one than you thought :happy:
Tula we hope you really njoy your day , take lots of photo's and let u know all about it when you get back again, before very long you'll be the same as us 23 year veterans of the koi show world [ 24 this year ] ;)

Good luck

Dave and Val

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In a baby, I don't have a clue. In older Chagoi look for solid color pecs. No clear tips. Should not have any gray and avoid dark brown. The black netting is important on top of color and should be as dark as possible. Large rounded mouth is best for growth. Not pointy head. Head should have no black specs on it and make sure no scars anywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, darn if I didn't forget my camera! We did dog rescue this morning, dashed home quickly before heading north for the koi show and it was raining buckets!!

I certainly enjoyed myself. It was a small show with 7 tanks on display and one of small koi for sale. It was raining buckets there, as well, but we had some cover. I simply could not believe the size of some of those koi.....mine must be runts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I rthik you mean show Vats not tanks Tula , strange they only had on koi for sale unless this is a show in flux meaning its still coming together we had'nt the luxury of a guest dealership for a few years .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Dave 54 , I guess they are vats....they're blue round pools of water? I didn't mean to say they only had one koi, but rather, one of the vats, had small koi for sale....actually quite a few :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Which koi dod you loose Casrrie you didnt say but sad that you did, all ours are ready for the show.
Added to the list of fish to be shown [but not sure where it goes yet], as I think that the new Ochiba we got this year may have to be prefixed by "Kinginrin".
There is also a stunning little asagi which will be on its first ever show too :Happy:

Dave
Dave it was the Aka Matsuba that we lost, sadly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave it was the Aka Matsuba that we lost, sadly.
Aww thats a shame carrie we have an Orangi Matsuba and a white Matsuba , hey at least it wasnt the two new ones .
Our recent Ochiba looks to have metalic scalation which has got us a little exited as we didnt expect that we are going to net and bowl both tomorrow I'll try and remember to take photo's :LOL: silly me my friend Lee is coming over to snap them tomorrow so give me a day or two to post the photo's

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Aww thats a shame carrie we have an Orangi Matsuba and a white Matsuba , hey at least it wasnt the two new ones .
Our recent Ochiba looks to have metalic scalation which has got us a little exited as we didnt expect that we are going to net and bowl both tomorrow I'll try and remember to take photo's :LOL: silly me my friend Lee is coming over to snap them tomorrow so give me a day or two to post the photo's

Dave
I can't wait to see!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I rthik you mean show Vats not tanks Tula , strange they only had on koi for sale unless this is a show in flux meaning its still coming together we had'nt the luxury of a guest dealership for a few years .

Dave
In the states we call them show tanks:)

Ask a Question