9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would highly recommend the reading of the article connected to this link by every Forum member.

http://acrylictankmanufacturing.com/blog/shocking-truth-nitrifying-bacteria-products-colony/

Even though it is presented by a manufacturer, it is, by far, the most accurate, open, and frank presentation concerning 'beneficial bacteria' products that I have encountered. Most questions and doubts are addressed in this article.
I feel like you wrote the first two pages

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would highly recommend the reading of the article connected to this link by every Forum member.

http://acrylictankmanufacturing.com/blog/shocking-truth-nitrifying-bacteria-products-colony/

Even though it is presented by a manufacturer, it is, by far, the most accurate, open, and frank presentation concerning 'beneficial bacteria' products that I have encountered. Most questions and doubts are addressed in this article.

I think we should keep in mind the purpose behind bacteria in a bottle products.
Is the product to be used for starting a pond or aquarium, or is to be used for ongoing " maintenance"?

Ongoing maintenance bacteria addition is completely unnecessary.
I can see where using a product with live bacteria would be helpful in an emergency startup situation, but the bottled bacteria product would need to be from a reliable source. Even then, the manufacturers recommend water changes as a method of diluting ammonia buildup when detected.
It's not an ideal start for fish.

There are only 2 distributors I'm aware of that date stamp their products, ATM and Dr Tim's.

Proper planning when setting up a pond or aquarium is far more desirable.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
You wanna deal with some real nasty bacteria ? Put a turtle in the mix and you will experience some of the most disgusting things you ever witnessed. I estimate that a 6-10" turtle will add the same waste as roughly 10 koi

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
How's it going mon amis,
I was wondering what your opinion on Beneficial bacteria (more specifically the cold water variety) is. The manufacturers claim that it makes the ammonia that builds up non-toxic, and while the companies that make the bacteria are probably biased; there are plenty of people and websites that say that you should put it in your water once it starts to get below fifty degrees fahrenheit (depends on who you ask) while others claim that you shouldn't put it in at all as it disrupts the balance you made in your pond.

Waste of $$.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since many of you are against using it then why do so many people use it or reccomend using it
People do things all the time "because someone told them it worked," whether said treatment or product actually had any effect. Some of us do things by trial & error, some based on scientific evidence, and some, just because. If you try something and get positive results........would you have gotten the same results if you hadn't done anything?

[Don't laugh....] but when I first started my pond, I thought I needed a heater in the winter..... to keep a hole open..... in the ice......because that's what everyone said I needed to do. Then one day it dawned on me......Louisiana.....what ice?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How's it going mon amis,
I was wondering what your opinion on Beneficial bacteria (more specifically the cold water variety) is. The manufacturers claim that it makes the ammonia that builds up non-toxic, and while the companies that make the bacteria are probably biased; there are plenty of people and websites that say that you should put it in your water once it starts to get below fifty degrees fahrenheit (depends on who you ask) while others claim that you shouldn't put it in at all as it disrupts the balance you made in your pond.

Friztzzyme makes TurboStart 700 which is live nitrobacter and nitrosomonas that work in 5 days. I've used it. It will last refrigerated for 3 months, comes packed in ice, Fedex overnight. Great for startups and it's no hoax. I never use cold water bacteria and TurboStart is not for the fall nor winter but for quick spring startups or reseeding. Quite costly. It has to be purchased from the company direct as their suppliers usually have it too long... http://www.fritzzyme.com/index.php?p=fritzzyme-turbostart ... just an fyi ... like I said, not to be bought from suppliers... Though they don't sell direct they will as I've bought some products including that. Seeding took 5 days with signs of nitrites sooner and ammonia was on it's own at 0 by day 5-6 ....

Ask a Question