Opinions on some changes to the 355

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
663D39CC-0C1F-49AC-BFF2-9B8241412ABF.jpeg
So this is where things stand or a quick recap. Overflow from the pond spilled to a 6 gallon sump inside the “doghouse” with the submersible pump. Piped through the wall in to the garage and through a shower filter. Then gravity fed into the small box you see hanging on the garage wall which contained a planter filled with gravel. Holes in the planter allowed water return and a nice water feature. Yes, this worked! Quite fantastically with very little maintenance. The parameters were spot on %100 all last season. 2 ISSUES. First off during power interruptions (we get a lot), I had to rig a holding relay so the pump would not just startup when power was restored. The sump is not large enough and would run dry before the return would get flowing. Therefor restart required having a 5 gal bucket primed and ready to pour into the sump when you restarted manually. You can see the issue if I’m away for a period of time. Second issue, shower filters take up a lot of room. Way easy to clean and really powerful but big and my fish room inside the garage is NOT. So my plan is to pull the sump from the “doghouse” and install a pressure canister I’ve picked up in its place. Move the pump into the pond with a pre-filter (yet to be built). Plumbing will run back and forth through what was the sump spillway. This addresses both issue for me but leaves me with a new question. What to do with the return? One idea I have is replacing the small box hanging on the wall and building a larger one that rests on the back 1/5? of the pond. Wrap it in cedar or black steel with the appropriate liner and provide a spillway center of it to return to the pond. Plant it with what have you. Jenny, pathos, native pond plants. What say you pond nation?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Sparky! It's been a long winter for you guys. Question, can you hook up an interrupted power supply? Or are your power outages long-term kind of events? Regarding your proposed change, I am visual can you post a sketch? Just off the cuff, a pressure system works as long as it doesn't spring a leak somewhere along the line.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow Sparky, sorry for the delay in responding. We had family visiting. Gosh, with all of the activity on the site during springtime I guess the other members missed your post. Hopefully, this will 'bump' it to the top again and others can jump in to help.
Let me make sure of your two issues:
1. When power gets interrupted the small box (on the wall), the water line feeding it and the shower filter inside backflow into the birdhouse sump. The power returns and the birdhouse sump pump restarts. But the volume of water needed 'in-line' exceeds 5-gallons therefore, the pump runs dry.
2. The shower filter uses too much space inside your fish room and must go.
If I am correct, It seems like a check valve would solve problem one. Use a 'ball' check valve rather than a 'squeeze' or flapper type. Ball valves provide the least resistance and are less prone to fouling. Problem 2 is really what is driving your change in my opinion.
You absolutely could use the canister filter especially since you already have it. I would route the water to get as much 'flow-through' circulation as possible just as you depicted and install a check valve on the outward side. I think your maintenance might increase although. I like bog filtration and avoid work whenever possible :)
Personally, I would keep your existing system and increase the size of your (garage box) bog filter. Install an overflow pipe in the bog just in case. Also, add a check valve in line to deal with power interruptions. You could then bypass the shower filter completely leaving extra space in your indoor fish room. Use the canister filter for a new, 100+ gallon aquarium!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Happy Spring Stephen! Yes I tried the check valve at the pump output but at 900gph it still ran it dry. I mean water did start returning to the sump but, not fast enough. I was counting on a little more maintenance with this system. The new “box” would be 3 times the volume of the old garage box. Do you think if I constructed a decent prefilter I could go direct into the box with the return and skip the canister all together?

Ask a Question