Orchids and liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have placed a few of my orchids bare root between rocks surrounding my pond...Does anyone know if orchid roots can destroy the liner? The orchids seem very happy but I won't be if they grow into the liner :mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Interesting question. Do orchids have particularly sharp or spiky roots?
When I moved into this house I saw a beautiful orchid blooming on my fence..When I tried to move it closer to the house I saw that the roots grew into the wood with no possible way to remove it...So that is why I am concerned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I doubt the roots will grow aggressively into the liner. Maybe plant them in a bed of pebbles that is placed on top of a spare piece of liner nestled in the surrounding rocks? Orchids generally don't grow all that quickly, and their roots are as much to hold onto something as to get nutrients. Orchids will love the humidity of the pond.
The ultimate test is in 6 months, gently look at whether the roots are attached solidly to the liner.
(Let us know! this could be interesting to us Floridians.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I doubt the roots will grow aggressively into the liner. Maybe plant them in a bed of pebbles that is placed on top of a spare piece of liner nestled in the surrounding rocks? Orchids generally don't grow all that quickly, and their roots are as much to hold onto something as to get nutrients. Orchids will love the humidity of the pond.
The ultimate test is in 6 months, gently look at whether the roots are attached solidly to the liner.
(Let us know! this could be interesting to us Floridians.)
Thank you SarahT..good advice..I will wait and see and let you know:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am of the vote i doubt they would most orchids don't even feed from the roots i believe the root is just that to root the plant keep it stable

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I am of the vote i doubt they would most orchids don't even feed from the roots i believe the root is just that to root the plant keep it stable
Well the orchid that is growing into my fence has made itself VERY stable by actually imbedding it’s roots into the fence (I don’t know if you can tell by this pic)

Attachments

• E5F76058-B469-47A5-BD0E-DC381243FA1F.jpeg
    E5F76058-B469-47A5-BD0E-DC381243FA1F.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I probably wouldn't sweat it. Makes sense that it wold penetrate a fence board. Wood is porous and holds moisture. Good place for a root. I really don't think any plants actively put their roots through liners, though that is a controversial opinion. When you see a root through a liner, seems more likely that the liner already had a small hole and the root capitalized on it. The tips of roots are typically quite soft; not sure how they would penetrate such a tough substance.

More likely that roots grow over or against or even attach to a liner and then grow in girth and cause problems pushing the edge down or stretching the liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I probably wouldn't sweat it. Makes sense that it wold penetrate a fence board. Wood is porous and holds moisture. Good place for a root. I really don't think any plants actively put their roots through liners, though that is a controversial opinion. When you see a root through a liner, seems more likely that the liner already had a small hole and the root capitalized on it. The tips of roots are typically quite soft; not sure how they would penetrate such a tough substance.

More likely that roots grow over or against or even attach to a liner and then grow in girth and cause problems pushing the edge down or stretching the liner.
This makes a lot of sense...Thank you combatwombat :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Well the orchid that is growing into my fence has made itself VERY stable by actually imbedding it’s roots into the fence (I don’t know if you can tell by this pic)
Like in this pic, in my opinion, the roots will follow the liner, how they done with the fence...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Many orchids have "aerial roots" that probably need to stay out of the water (let them figure it out). In their native environment, orchids are epiphytres and grow on things like trees, and hold on to the bark with their roots, but don't damage the tree. I guess I'll go OTG for a second and encourage you to send pictures of the fence-blooming orchid when it blooms! And of course pix of the pond bloomer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Many orchids have "aerial roots" that probably need to stay out of the water (let them figure it out). In their native environment, orchids are epiphytres and grow on things like trees, and hold on to the bark with their roots, but don't damage the tree. I guess I'll go OTG for a second and encourage you to send pictures of the fence-blooming orchid when it blooms! And of course pix of the pond bloomer.
She’s a vanda which are my favorites..I enjoy the beautiful roots almost as much as the flowers. I have learned that the less you do for them the better (I used to spray the roots with diluted fertilizer on all of my vandas) I will post pics when they flower:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to walk on the side of caution regarding plant root won't puncture a liner. I know for a fact several tree and shrubs can puncture the liner of epdm i can say as to the hdpre but i do know the ground where roots have to push through and expand as they grow is no small task and puncturing a liner would seem much easier. cat tails is another video that comes to mind from videos i have seen

Ask a Question