How to hide the liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This pond does not have a planting ledge. So thats as far as i can go with stones before falling into the pond.
Any ideas will be appreciated . Thanks

Attachments

• 20220203_120206.jpeg
    20220203_120206.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 45

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In soil or in some water.
I always just tucked mine into the rocks and the roots would grow down between the rocks….I guess there is enough moisture there. But you could use small balls of soil to tuck into the rocks. I’m not a plant expert, so any experience/success I’ve had was mostly luck.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I rocked in all of the walls of the pond, and the rocks just continued to support the edging rocks, however this does decrease the water volume. Th creeping jenny idea is good, I have simply taken the pots off and left all of that soil, and then tucked them in between rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have enough liner above water to dig a small shelf? The creeping jenny is a good idea. Is your pond full right now? If not, you could use an autofill to make sure the water is always above the exposed liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Creeping Jenny or also called Creeping Charlie will do very well along your pond sides. I have mine w/the roots in the soil but perhaps they will do well w/them just in water. As you can see they can travel quite a distance and you can train them where you kinda want them to go. They have a bonus too, they get pretty little yellow blooms.

IMG_4967.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This pond does not have a planting ledge. So thats as far as i can go with stones before falling into the pond.
Any ideas will be appreciated . Thanks

I took this screenshot from below. When I built my pond, I did this with the rocks so the water level shows some rock below the water and the liner doesn't show. It's late fall and the net above is reflecting into the pond.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 3.56.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 3.56.59 PM.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 29

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I took this screenshot from below. When I built my pond, I did this with the rocks so the water level shows some rock below the water and the liner doesn't show. It's late fall and the net above is reflecting into the pond.
That’s how I did mine, as well, but I think the problem is that @420benz doesn’t have that shelf in his pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do you have enough liner above water to dig a small shelf? The creeping jenny is a good idea. Is your pond full right now? If not, you could use an autofill to make sure the water is always above the exposed liner.
No i don't

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No i don't
You should, your just reworking the same measurements your just lowering the shelf. unless the liner just is folded over and stops under your rocks.

An other option is rock on a roll or the non woven fabric

Rock on a roll is not cheap but looks much better then liner

Non woven landscape fabric will give the roots a plkace to lock onto and grow covering the liner much faster and along with that moss will also start to grow especially if your tuck some in the cracks or just rub it against the fabric and get the spores into the fabric.

A third option is to back fill a wall making the pond smaller so you can create the shelf as in the illustration above

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you could find sturdy black plastic crates, like milk crates or similar, you could place those where the shelf would be. and then set rocks or a barely submerged planter tray on top of the crates. Being black and being shaded by the rocks should make them close to invisible.

Anothe idea is if could find acceptable, large, flat rocks, you could set them on the bottom of the pond and lean them against the side. Matching them to the rocks that are already there might be a challenge, but Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia) and other plants would soften the edges. and might blur the contrast.

Ask a Question