ordered lotus(nymphaea)seeds, now what?

Reaction score
I just received the seeds today. They're not what I expected. I thought they would be the marble size, hard shelled seeds. These are tiny little things. Does anyone have any tips on how to grow these. Everything I read before I ordered was about the bigger seeds. Maybe those are lilly seeds :dunno:
Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Most Lotus seeds are about as big as the tip of your finger or bigger. There are some species that are quite a bit smaller though.

Reaction score
Maybe you could take a pic of come in the palm of your hand so that someone may be able to identify them for you. Here are what I got to sprout. I bought them in their original Lotus Pod from the floral design area of Michaels Arts and Crafts, although I read some were able to purchase them from Hobby Lobby and even $Tree. I believe Water Lily's grow from corms, of course, I could be mistaken. Looking forward to a pic of the seeds your received. Did they come w a picture? :goldfish:

Attachments

• DSCF5247.JPG
    DSCF5247.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCF5248.JPG
    DSCF5248.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 436
  • DSCF5397.JPG
    DSCF5397.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 385

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I received some that were about half the size of a marble, just depends on the variety. I would prepare them the same way the other thread describes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I grew mine in a glass on my window sill/lotus seeds are mostly smaller .You do have to freshen the water often .I sannded the round end of the seed so the sprout can come out

The sight on e-bay shows you how to do it .The seed needs plenty of light on it

Attachments

• pee house pond 2012 009.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 009.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 350
  • pee house pond 2012 007.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 007.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 313
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't think they will show up in a picture LOL. They look like somebody sprinkled black pepper into an envelope. The type of lotus is "nymphaea". I got them in varios colors from rarexoticseeds.com.
I don't have a Michaels close to me so I tried other craft stores with no luck. It's kind of agrivating. I thought I was doing good and then these pepper flakes show up LOL.
I hope somebody can help me make these work.

Reaction score
believe there are seeds like you have and ones that look more like the larger lotus seed.. did the envelope have instructions? i would just follow the instructions or check online as to how to grow from the type seed you have... you may be pleasantly surprised

Reaction score
[quote name='don't ask' timestamp='1338594221' post='121524']
believe there are seeds like you have and ones that look more like the larger lotus seed.. did the envelope have instructions? i would just follow the instructions or check online as to how to grow from the type seed you have... you may be pleasantly surprised
[/quote]
No instructions with the seeds or on their website(I should look again)LOL, I hope to start these seeds soon.

[quote name='Shoestring Ponder' timestamp='1338594302' post='121525']
Mike, I googled your seeds and found this description. You will need to scroll down and read the description. It does state that this plant is actually a water lily which would explain the tiny seeds. HTH :goldfish:

http://davesgarden.c...es/pf/go/37041/
[/quote]
Thanks. That's positive news. I did try to looking into growing instructions online. I didn't find anything very helpful. I'll keep looking.
I don't just want to drop them in water or just put them in dirt.

Reaction score
How embarassing. I found these directions on the site that I purchased the seeds :redface:
Still doesn't seem as easy as the germinating the big seeds.
Well I guess we can all learn something new. I'll keep you posted how this works.
Thanks again

The White Lotus Seeds can be sprouted in warm water and potted individually, or they can be planted before they sprout. The number of seeds to germinate will determine the container size, everything from small pots to dish pans to small ponds. Put a layer of soil in the bottom, add water to the brim, level and compact the soil once it has settled after being filled with water. Then distribute the seeds as evenly as possible over the soil and drizzle a thin layer of white sand through the water, over the seeds. This helps to anchor them and to see them as they sprout. Adding water after putting the seeds are put in can dislodge them, as can placing the container in a pond, so if you need to add water, be very careful. To keep the water around 80 degrees you can use a heating pad placed under the container. When the seedlings have made several leaves, you can transplant them in your pond. Or you can float your lotus tuber in pond water for 10-14 days in a warm sunny place (water temp 70-80 degrees) before planting. Change the water frequently. If the water is allowed to get too cold at night this can kill the new growth and the tuber will rot. You can use a heating pad set on the low setting under the pan of water to keep them warm. This allows the tuber to sprout and will increase your success in growing lotus. Don't plant the newly sprouted tuber in a cold pond. Wait until your pond gets up to 65-70 degrees. Once established in your pond they are a hardy plant and will come back year after year in even the coldest of climates when the water warms up. When your lotus is ready to plant, fill up a 5 to 10 gallon or 12” x 12” pot with 6" of topsoil with pea stone at a rate of 75% topsoil 25% pea stone. This will improve aeration in the soil. Place the lotus tuber with the growing tips straight upwards centered in the pot. Gently press the tuber into the mud being very careful not to damage the new growing tips. Add a 1" layer of gravel to cover the tuber and to keep the tuber from floating. Lotus are very heavy feeders, but should not be fertilized until they have put up two or three leaves. After they have set leaves they should be given 1 or 2 tabs of fertilizer per pot. Place it in the pond no more than 8 inches deep of water over the top of the pot. In the fall move the lotus to the deep water. Don't cut all the stems off as they provide oxygen to the root system. Germination can take longer. Be patient!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
e- bay has several that sell the big seeds with free shipping and some are less than 3 dollars and my neighbor got them and they are growing better than mine and I think it was because they were fresher than the dried ones

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
What you got are waterlily seeds. Nymphaea is the genus of waterlilies, lotus are nelumbo. Everyone's out to make a dollar, and not everyone does it honestly!
John

Reaction score
What you got are waterlily seeds. Nymphaea is the genus of waterlilies, lotus are nelumbo. Everyone's out to make a dollar, and not everyone does it honestly!
John

GRRR.....You are right.
I just sent them a nasty email. They are calling both nelumbo and nymphaea, lotus. They are supposed to be the experts, who ships worldwide.

Ask a Question