Ordered my new liner today!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Dig starts this weekend, hopefully the liner will be here, if not, im sure I can do most of the digging without it.

After last fall, with the nieghbors dog standing on the plant shelf chewing a hole in the liner, I decided if I was going to rebuild I was going bigger! I keep falling in love with koi and buying more anyway, and I knew I would need a bigger pond if I kept buying them.

So, my previous 8x10x4 feet (at the deepest) will now be a 9X15X4 (4 feet deep across the whole pond this time to get as much volume out of my liner as possible.) which should bring me from around 1600 gallons to right over 4,000 gallons according to a quick pond volume calculator I used.

Thinking bottom drain this time, to help with the leaves, or at least gather them all to one area, I have scrapped my idea of moving the entire pond right outside my back door, there is just too much stuff I would have to move around,including the dog kennel which is connected to the back of the garage so they can go in and out.

And now I'm trying to figure out if I will fence in my entire backyeard to keep neighbors dog out, or just put like a 4 foot picket fence around the pond area to keep animals away. Being as we now have the one year old girl wandering around the yard every chance she gets... I might go for the latter and worry about fencing in the whole yard later. I first built the pond when my son was 4, so it was alot easier to teach him he couldn't go near the pond without me, the one year old isnt quite as responsive yet. :)

Will try to remember to stop all my working to take lots of pictures during the rebuild.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing that I don't like with bottom drains is you can't have snails and you can also suck up baby fish .Hey you mentioned dog kennel I have neighbors who's dogs run free and they put there 1 and 2 year old in the dog kennel ,gotta love rednecks .lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that's great 99! You'll have plenty of room for all your fish now. How does a bottom drain not suck up the big fish too? I mean isn't it just a big hole that you open up and it starts sucking all the water out? It prolly has a screen on it but still seems like the pressure would suck stuff smack up against it. Not sure how they work other than that? I wouldn't want to lose stuff down it especially little fishes.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Well, after seeing how much leaves and dirt, and everything had built up on the bottom of my pond after I drained it, I decided I needed to do something different. And that was with quite a bit of scooping daily during the fall, and netting over it too!

And I think they way i'll have mine set up, fish being sucked into the tube will not be a bad thing... they will just be temporarily relocated into another container and would be found eventually and put back into the pond.

Sissy that kind of sounds like my redneck neighbors (not chaining their kids up, they dont have any of those) but they did spend a day putting up a zipline for thier dogs to run on, but i have yet to see a dog on it, they just open the door and let them wander.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You should have to apply for a license to have children and pets and only after you are checked out .Sanity and patience check up .If you can pass the stupidity check up they you may qualify .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Way to go! make sure you take pictures, we want to watch you work.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ditto on the skimmer, it does work great

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So with the skimmer thing all ya do is buy the thing dig a hole and plop it in up near your pond like the Savio one in the video addy posted from utube and then plop the pump in there and send the output hose to the filter or waterfall filter set up if ya have one like that right and now and then ya just clean out the skimmer basket. Am I getting this right guys?

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Actually last night I was thinking abut doing both. Still not sure, I've got all week to mull it over. Maybe even longer, depending on how many people i can sucker in to helping me dig this weekend. :)

Ask a Question