Ordering water lilies

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have three lillies that have done well in the deepest part of my pond which is about 40" deep, and I have some others that are in 24" of water and have not done well. This year I put one of the ones in the 24" of water on a block so it is now only under 12" or so of water so we will see how it does.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Last weekend on craigslist there was a ad for free pond plants. Water lilies, arrow head and dwarf cattails. I responded and got the address. They lady said they were in her pond and we had to dig them out. So I think, no problem since I trout fish, I'll just bring my fishing waders. I get there and see the med. size pond that is way over grown with plants. Its about 2' deep, but has at least 9" of root mass on the entire bottom. I got lots of lilies. The root had to be as big as a baseball and the pads are at least 18". I had the wife get a new oil drain pan for doing oil changes. I put the lilies in the pan with some potting soil, put a piece of landscape fabric on top of the soil and then filled the rest of it with rock and sunk it 2' deep in my pond. They are doing great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If the lilies are imported, odds on they have been harshly root cropped and it may be next year before they have a root system up to speed and going into a bloom cycle.

Small starts of waterlily are vulnerable to any kind of grazing and need sheltered positions

Shallow positions can speed up a lily establishing though its possible waters can get too hot in full sun and destroy or force dormancy on vulnerable plants when waters whistle over 95f

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Ask a Question