Our emerald green pond

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
Here she is, algae and all. The picture on the right is 2 years ago, crystal clear.

Attachments

• pond july 2009 Large Web view.jpg
    pond july 2009 Large Web view.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 680
  • pond Large e-mail view.jpg
    pond Large e-mail view.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 670

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
poddles said:
Beautiful pond. I especially like the waterfall. What size pump do you have?
I believe the pump that we are presently using is 1000gpm, we had been running a 2500, and are probably going back to that one.

Reaction score
Thanks! That gives me hope that my waterfall will look the way I want. I have a 1800 gal/hr pump with a 3-4 ft. head (the pump didn't come with a chart, just a max head) so hopefully I'll end up with a good flow. I have looked at many web sites trying to balance filtration and waterfall. It can all get so confusing!:toothy12:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sometimes people get all caught up in the specs, types and brand names. The bottom line is: Circulation, areation and filtration. Common sense tells us not to overpopulate.

Reaction score
I know when I put a lot of water hyacinths in my pond it helps clear things up, they really are amazing. My fish have gotten pretty big and eat the roots off of them so I bought these $15 floating circle nets from Dr. Fosters and Smith and I put the hyacinths in there and as they get larger and start multiplying I pull the smaller off shoot off and keep it in the net then throw the original larger hyacinth in the pond and let the fish have at it. I bought the initial 24 hyacinths on Ebay for probably 30 or 40 bucks and within a couple days it really helped clear up the string algae and they had already started multiplying.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
String algae clears itself up. The water hyacinth helps in other ways and is a great addition to any pond. The only plant I like better is water lettuce.

Reaction score
I love your pond, Linda! I haven't been on here for quite a while, but I just completed a renovation to my 24 year old pond. It looks amazingly similar to yours!! When I showed my husband your picture, he just couldn't believe it. Lets see if I can post a picture of mine:

click to enlarge

Reaction score
Thanks, my pond is my favorite place to be. I just can't get over how much it looks like Linda's. And as I look at her older picture, she has added to her pond as well. I will start another thread with before and after...

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
Bonibelle said:
I love your pond, Linda! I haven't been on here for quite a while, but I just completed a renovation to my 24 year old pond. It looks amazingly similar to yours!! When I showed my husband your picture, he just couldn't believe it. Lets see if I can post a picture of mine:

click to enlarge
Boni, yes, your pond does look like ours! I must say, yours looks very nice.;)
And thank you to the person who told me to use barley extract and peroxide to get rid of the algae; it worked beautifully! We treated it a couple of times, and again right before we went away for TWO weeks. We returned to a beautiful clear pond. I'll take a picture soon and post it. We can see our fish again; we're so happy. We decided to buy one more koi, and went to our favorite place to buy them. No luck, $42 for 4" fish. No thank you, not with a heron still casing our place. Anyway, thank you again.:banana:

Reaction score
Linda, you may see a barley bale floating in my pond, not sure if you can pick it out in the picture. It doesn't seem to help much though. I am not too upset with green water as long as I can control the string algae.

About your big bird;;;I purchased something called a Scare Crow that is a motion activated contraption that goes on your hose. It sprays as soon as anything moves in the area. It really works (and I actually used one in my garden to keep the deer out too). I have raccoons that have caused me some problems lately. They actually pulled my lights out of my waterfall!! So I need to hook up the Scare Crow again. The problem is that it will also spray the song birds getting a drink and neighbors who come to see my project when I'm not home!!:banana:

I can't wait to see your new picture!

Boni

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
We have a scare crow, and yes, it does work. Especially when I forget that it is on. :banana: By the way, the liquid barley extract worked VERY well. I can see my fish clearly now.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Egrets and raccoons ignored mine. We must have smarter predators in So Cal.
Rifle works great! They never come back.

Ask a Question