outdoor power outlet keeps tripping

Reaction score
Yeah your right, you dont need to be grounded to use the gfi, but thats besides the point.
If your are plugging in a two prong cord to a GFI, why would you need an adapter?
Not to mention who sells a pump made to go into water that isnt grounded, unless its a very small fountain pump?
Sorry, was just correcting your grounding statement. Wasn't saying grounding isn't a good thing/

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
The outlet box you are using isn't weatherproof when you have stuff plugged into it. Its only weatherproof when the door is closed. You need to get a "in use cover" for your outside outlets that you are using all the time. I would look over all your cords real close. If there is a nick in the outter shell of the cord, and it gets wet, it can cause problems like you are having. A 110 Volt outlet should never be hooked up to a 30 amp breaker. Anything that is on a 30 amp breaker should be direct wire, meaning that there is no outlet involved. The item running on that should have the wires from your electrical panel hooked directly up to the item needing power. A 110V outlet should be on a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Its recommended that you use a GFIC outlet for outside outlet boxes, but you can also use a regular outlet running of a GFIC breaker.

All of my outlets around my pond have the "in use covers" on them like ididntdoit posted earlier. I have 2 double gang outlet boxes and 2 single gang outlet boxes. I have never had one trip yet.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
It trips and I reset it but it constantly trips. It does not stay reset once I plug in my cords. The only thing that might be causing an issue is I have 3 prong plug adapter. Either water is getting in there or I have too much on the 15 amp outlet. The home is 1996 and nothing wrong as I can tell with my wiring. It is just strange this only happens mostly during storms, not just a normal rain, and not in winter.

If it won't stay reset, the GFI is bad. Replace both the GFI and the outlet cover with a in use cover and see how that goes for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
First of all, the size of the circuit breaker ( 15, 20, 30) is determined by the size of the wire attached to it. Never attach any wire smaller than a #10 gauge to a 30 amp breaker. If you do, your looking for trouble right there. So, 14 gauge wire on a maximum 15 amp breaker, 12 gauge on a 20 and 10 gauge on a 30.
GFCI' s can go bad, but if you feel like you have to keep replacing them, then I'd say you have a problem with something that is plugged into it.
You should use the type of box cover that you can close while the cords are plugged in. They usually are a clear plastic bubble type. This way when it rains, the door on the box is closed. Less likely for the moisture to get into where the cords are plugged in. They sell them for about $8. Make sure the gasket between the box and cover is functioning and not twisted or incorrectly installed.
Also, never use any type of adapter, splitter or extension cords.
So, I would say that you need to isolate which of the cords are tripping the gfci. It could be the cord or the device (pump or whatever) itself but you need to isolate it and replace it.
Any more electrical questions...feel free to ask. I'm in that business, so I should be able to help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Reiterating what Brandon said. You can use a GFCI circuit breaker, which would be inside your home, and it can feed a regular outlet (non-GFCI) out by your pond. But don't use both GFCI outlet and GFCI circuit breaker. It's one or the other. Basically water is getting into something that's plugged in there. Like I sad, it could be the pump (or lights or whatever it is) itself, it's cord or it's male plug. The GFCI is doing it's job...protecting you from getting electrocuted.
Good luck,
Joe

Reaction score
I agree... use the "in use" cover as that is what I use as well and no problems... if you were using a rock cover was there moisture underneath it on the outlet? if so that is a sure sign moisture is probably tripping your outlet or breaker.. what is the other item that the electrician added to for using a 30 amp? is that coming on when your pond pump etc are working? could they be drawing too much all together? if you are doing the change to the outlet cover and replacing receptacle if problem persists, call the electrician back and have him or her recheck their work..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
[quote name='don't ask' timestamp='1340562595' post='126385']
I agree... use the "in use" cover as that is what I use as well and no problems... if you were using a rock cover was there moisture underneath it on the outlet? if so that is a sure sign moisture is probably tripping your outlet or breaker.. what is the other item that the electrician added to for using a 30 amp? is that coming on when your pond pump etc are working? could they be drawing too much all together? if you are doing the change to the outlet cover and replacing receptacle if problem persists, call the electrician back and have him or her recheck their work..
[/quote]

Hey, good point about those fake rock cover things! Something like that would trap moisture and could trip a GFCI

Ask a Question