Overflow Pipe

Reaction score
So im setting up my pond area, the hole has been dug which meausures roughly
4ft deep 8ft long and about 4-5ft in width.

Im, just realizing my pond seat in a fully enclosed Concrete area, in the front of my house. Ive connected all rain gutter downspouts and sump pump exits to the new drain system(Pictures to follow). to the front of the yard down the hill.

Ok now that i have all of that setup (the drain sytem) im concerned about a overflow pipe,
but i dont want to cut into the new pipping i just laid and glued. So here is my question i have been thinking about digging a line in the ground to connect to the sump pump exit (1.5inch) PVc but i want to reduce it down from 4 inche grate cover to the 1.5 pvc will this cause any issues?

Will the 4inch to 1.5 be bad?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well...yea your correct
I want the grate to be 4 inches and want to reduce it down to the 1.5 pipe for exit...
Will the reduce to exit cause and issues ?

Reaction score
I'm like diesel, my bog just overflows, but my pond isn't next to my house either.
Your pond overflow isn't going to be under pressure, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem, unless less as diesel said something gets stuck. Then the pond would over flow next to your house.... JW has her pond next to her house, let's see what she did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum from Plymouth UK , where are you from Holyreefer ?
We have an overlow on our own pond that is 1,5" pipe so there are no issues there what so ever Holyreefer itt would be also an idea to add a ball valve to allow you to shut off the overflow when you want to.
Weve done this and created a rudimentary slimmer at the same time plus have taken the water level to above the overflow so we can drain it when we want thus skimming the ponds surface at the same time
Hope this helps ?

Dave

Dave

Ask a Question