Bad storm overflow from drainage ditch need help

KJS

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had a horrible storm last night and our drainage ditch overflowed causing tons of dirt to go into pond. Our pond was crystal clear coming out of winter and now it is completely brown can only see probably 6 inches down so far today. Was hoping the filters would catch back up but even with them being cleaned there is still atleast 1/2 inch of dirt/gunk all along the rocks that have settled. I was thinking a vacuum would be the next thing to do but have no idea if that's even worth it or if we should do a drain and clean and I really want to avoid that this year. Had to last year because our fish came out of winter really really sick. I had to put them in stock tanks and treat them, all survived! The year before we had to as well because we had to many fish. Our pond is 4,500 gallons. It has a liner with rocks covering the liner throughout. I'm drawing a blank on my filter right now but it is a waterfall filter and we have a skimmer. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated I do not want to loose my fish

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A vacuum can help. Sorry about the flooding.
A friend lost 3 large koi ponds full of show type koi, 3 foot of flood waters over her ponds. All pumps and filters were in pits, they are , most likely, history.

KJS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have a vacuum yet. Was seeing first if that was even the way to go. I'm sorry to hear about your friends makes me sick to think I can loose mine.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Her son managed to save the horses, the water stopped right at the house. She is hoping she might find some. She had a huge grow out mud pond, full of koi doing the mud pond thing. She does not know but figures most are gone.

KJS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine is nothing like that but still an issue for me. Kind of stressing about it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We had a horrible storm last night and our drainage ditch overflowed causing tons of dirt to go into pond. Our pond was crystal clear coming out of winter and now it is completely brown can only see probably 6 inches down so far today. Was hoping the filters would catch back up but even with them being cleaned there is still atleast 1/2 inch of dirt/gunk all along the rocks that have settled. I was thinking a vacuum would be the next thing to do but have no idea if that's even worth it or if we should do a drain and clean and I really want to avoid that this year. Had to last year because our fish came out of winter really really sick. I had to put them in stock tanks and treat them, all survived! The year before we had to as well because we had to many fish. Our pond is 4,500 gallons. It has a liner with rocks covering the liner throughout. I'm drawing a blank on my filter right now but it is a waterfall filter and we have a skimmer. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated I do not want to loose my fish

Lost all my Koi during Sandy except for 2. No fun... Try wet vac a little at a time. The dirt will settle and filter out with backwashing.
NOT SURE THIS APPLIES BUT ...

As an FYI - 3 years ago, I put a dry well in using a bulkhead fitting right into my Savio. I have a 2000 gallon pond. If you have a skimmer, you can dig down, run 1-1/2 - 2" pvc and use a of Rubber Made Brute garbage can 44 gallon. Using large gravel a foot around enlarges the dry well and I haven't had a problem in the heaviest of rain storms. You can also use 2 and T them. I have them 8 feet away 2 feet below the surface in a planted garden... btw - you have to drill the can out with 1/2 - 3/4 inch holes, bottom and sides 1/2 way up. Really easier than it sounds ....

KJS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lost all my Koi during Sandy except for 2. No fun... Try wet vac a little at a time. The dirt will settle and filter out with backwashing.
NOT SURE THIS APPLIES BUT ...

As an FYI - 3 years ago, I put a dry well in using a bulkhead fitting right into my Savio. I have a 2000 gallon pond. If you have a skimmer, you can dig down, run 1-1/2 - 2" pvc and use a of Rubber Made Brute garbage can 44 gallon. Using large gravel a foot around enlarges the dry well and I haven't had a problem in the heaviest of rain storms. You can also use 2 and T them. I have them 8 feet away 2 feet below the surface in a planted garden... btw - you have to drill the can out with 1/2 - 3/4 inch holes, bottom and sides 1/2 way up. Really easier than it sounds ....
Thank you!!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It has a liner with rocks covering the liner throughout.

Sorry to hear the news. Depending on the size of rock, the vacuum may not work very well. I love my pond vacuum, but it will suck up pebbles and block the tubing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Her son managed to save the horses, the water stopped right at the house. She is hoping she might find some. She had a huge grow out mud pond, full of koi doing the mud pond thing. She does not know but figures most are gone.

I heard about this situation. Very sad. From what I heard, her son was amazing!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you want to quickly clear the water, acquire some agricultural gypsum and sprinkle it over the surface of the pond. It will bind with any and all suspended solids and precipitate to the pond's bottom where it will stay until you can remove it.
In an eco-pond such as yours, a certain amount of silt (2 - 4 cm) on the bottom is not a bad thing. Any amount over this could very well cause future problems. Like Cas stated, vacuuming may prove to be a chore because of the gravel bottom. You may want to wait until the weather warms and do a clean-out.
If no signs of stress have been observed as yet your fish should be OK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome top the form @KJS did you say you had rocks on the bottom of your pond ?
If so you may have problems with suction getting the gunk/dirt out from the bottom of your pond I'm affraid

Dave

Ask a Question