Overwintering fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Question to all the fish folks out on the site
Little background info. I am a nature guy that enjoys, appreciates, and value all life - all the way down to the smallest levels…ok maybe not mosquitos. :D – Located in Central Indiana (zone 5 -I believe) – small 50 gallon preformed pond 18inches at its deepest part with a waterfall and veggie filter cycling it. I have 8 fish – they are feeder goldfish and mollies all around an inch in length. Also have a couple of snails from the local pet store that were free. They all have been in their new home for about 2 months now and seem very spry and healthy. I plan to shut down and pull my ponds pump come winter. I haven’t been able to find the fish and snails a home and don’t want to buy an aquarium set up in the house for them. I would like to try and overwinter them in my insulated but cool garage (not heated) and not just watch them freeze in the pond or simply write them off for fertilizer. I don’t want/plan to heat or feed them during this time. I have a large 30 gallon container (no filter) which would house them nicely - They are not skinny fish but by no means have extra weight on them (they look like normal aquarium fish). I did not originally feed them in my pond – they fed on the algae and other natural items in the pond. I did start feeding them the last few weeks to try and get them a little more weight. Just feeding basic flake fish food that was given to me by my brother this summer after his son’s fair fish died. (Probably not the best for weight gain but it was free). I’m guessing the coldest overwinter water in the 30 gallon garage tank would be in a range from the high 30F to mid-40F degree range. From what I have read that is good hibernation temps for the goldfish – (probably too cold for the mollies). Like I stated above - No filter in my plan to store them - which I’m guessing should be fine since they won’t be eating and adding waste. I would plan to do a few small water changes to help with the ammonia build up. I plan to monitor the water temps during the winter and especially during those water changes. I have a small aerator to keep them oxygenated and plan to monitor water temps via a floating thermometer.

So with what I have outlined above do you think this is possible with a good survival rate?

Would fish that small have enough matter build up (size/fat) to make it over 4 months in a hibernation state?

Should I throw the snails in with them? No clue on them or what type they are?

Is light or no light critical to this process?

Anything I would need to do different to help in the cause?

If I’m heading down the right path above- This leads me to a few addtional questions…

My small pond/water feature current water temps vary from low 50’s at night to mid 60’s at day – it cools and heats quickly because of its size plus the large water fall drop and veggie filter. I believe everything I have read states fish need to stop being fed in the low 50’s because they won’t process it when they hibernate causing bacteria build up leading to death.
How should I handle this with such temperature fluctuations?
When should I stop feeding them? Guessing soon but with little algae left in my pond and the fish still being very active I want to give them all the nutrients to help them without causing harming them.

OK …maybe I have lost my man card and going way off into the deep end of the pool to try and save a few non-expensive fish but like I stated above – it seems the older I get the more appreciation I get for the value of life- even the little ones ;).

Many thanks for any answers in advance and sorry for the long post.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The goldfish should be OK, the mollies definitely NOT! And I would let the fish pick at algae, but no added food. The rest of your plan sounds all right.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The goldfish should be OK, the mollies definitely NOT! And I would let the fish pick at algae, but no added food. The rest of your plan sounds all right.
John
I agree with John on this however you really do need to rethink your pond and its depth, then perhaps next year you might think about building a more suitable pond.
The think you need is a good depth of pond 4ft being the minimum depth and 5 ft being the maximum
Did I read you rght when you said you hardly feed your fish prefaring instead to let them eat algae year round ?
If so your wrong in what your doing and should rethink and then feed your fish on a daily basis but not flake , pellet is the best way to give your fish the ballanced diet you really need to be feeding them.
As a plus you can feed them alternate foods which is something weve really had a chance to look into in our 27 years of koi keeping and in this thread you will have the benefit of knowing what vitamins etc is in this alternate way of feeding *note :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/a-look-at-alternate-foods-for-your-koi-and-goldfish.10500/.

When feeding your goldfish only feed down to 10c - 40f even though the food companies claim its ok to feed down to 5c , goldfish like other cyprinids do not have a stomach and any food left in their gut as the temperature drops will rot in their gut with a possibliity that you could loose your fish., which you dont want to see .
Bring them into your garage by all means but make sure you do water changes throughout the wnter (matchimg temperatures when you do so, also make sure they are filtered with a good size filter also keep a very good eye on your water perameters throughout the winter months and your fish should be fine

*note Only feed alternate foods a a supliment to the pelleted foods i;e as a treat from time to time

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks all for the replies. ..

so I thought I read somewhere on the site that fish will be self sufficient in a pond that has plenty of plants and algae. Is this not true? I know these little guys are a little different than normal native fish but thought an outside flowing water system with plants, algae and all other items of nature would make them self sufficient in diet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think there are several members here that rarely feed their gold fish and shubunkins, and when they do, they do so lightly. I think JW and Addy are two such members. I think koi are different and need to be fed. I'm sure those with gold fish will chime in:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My goldfish get fed now and then. Very lightly when I do feed. They don't get food from around November until the end of March.
I do have a bunch of plants in my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
addy we do the same as you as soon as the temperature dips bellow that of 10c then thats it till March April time
I have goldfish keeping friends in the UK who feed their fish twice a day everyday with pelleted food their ponds are well planted out the same as you , have you any idea why this is different to what people do in the US and Canada ?
You cant just rely on algae and plant matter does anyone know how much in the way of nutrients vitamins etc is in Algae and plant matter ?

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Your title made me think of this:

1787.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the food hanging down by the pond, when I am down there they get fed, but to be honest they eat very little. I toss in about 1/2 a hand full, they snack on a few pellets then ignore them. No massive munch job. If I feed them twice in a day, the second feeding they totally ignore. So I have gotten into the habit of an off and on feeding, they do just fine. No dead fish, all look darn healthy. NO KOI

I have aracharnis in the pond, they are supposed to eat it up, it survives, hornwort, lilies, iris etc. As far as nutrient value no clue, but again they grow from tiny to large in a summer so they must be getting some good food.

Ask a Question