Red stem parrots feather and some green stem mostly shaded
IMG_4483.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just got mine this April and it's doing ok, not thriving, just ok... I wonder why too... in full son but got shade from other plants covering it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Wild guess your ph is a bit harsh for it. over 8ph would make it sulk
Yes that may be it. My ph does run high. Think I will put it in a pot. Just haven't had time.
Wow Addy yours looks like its thriving.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It freezes like a ice cube in the winter, that pond is not real deep, not real big, in the stream, usually freezes to the bottom or very close, no fish, the stuff comes back great every year.

The red stem I used to haul to the deck pond every summer, (deck pond too shallow to support it over winter) Finally got tired of doing that. The red stem is in a pot around 12 inches below water level with kitty litter, the green stem is floating free. That pond has fish in it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 Do you trim your PF back, and if so, does that seem to help keep it bushy and full? I cut mine back and replant the cuttings but I can't say if the pruned back stems ever really DO anything.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 Do you trim your PF back, and if so, does that seem to help keep it bushy and full? I cut mine back and replant the cuttings but I can't say if the pruned back stems ever really DO anything.
I have never trimmed it. I just let it grow.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Seems like this is a water pH incompatibility with plant issue. From a quick google, looks like Parrot Feather in a water environment does better in a pH at around 7.5 or lower.

Best I can recall from @addy1 previous posts, I think @addy1 's pond pH is generally in the 7.0~7.3 range?

I have grown acid loving plants "ok" in more alkaline, soil conditions, but they have never really done great. Generally, to make them look good in a more alkaline environment, I had to try to alter the soil profile by adding more fertilizer (more than usual). This is pretty much what we do on the crops on our farm; since our water has a pH if 8.6 and soil pH is 7.8, we have to basically add 20~30% more fertilizer than would need to in a more acidic soil/water environment.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need to check my ph, haven't in quite a while. Last time was 7.5 or so, like last year I think was my last ph test.
We stay on the acidic side.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Bought some a week ago. Now it's just floating. I'm thinking of potting it and completely submerging it underwater.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pulled some of the pf out for a friend it was loose floating with nice long roots. Fishless stream pond. It freezes solid then comes back every spring.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine is just tucked into the rocks, so I wonder if potting it would be better..... But, there's a lot of organic matter from leaves, etc. that collect between the rocks [I only have rocks lining the edge, so those rocks].

For those who have PF, I wonder, too, if there is a climate factor there.

Ask a Question