ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I bought some aquatic plants today at this cool little exotic swap meet. I got a full grown white water lily, a beautiful purple iris, and a clump of parrots feather all for a grand total of... $20! :alieneyesa:

Anyway, I was wondering how to plant the parrots feather? it wasn't potted or anything. Should it be? :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some also stick an end in the dirt and let it float in the pond, or under a rock

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I've got the clump stuck under a rock right now.

I have another question. I purchased some water hyacinth a few weeks ago, and were dark green. Lately they have started turning a yellowish green color. Should I be concerned?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Stick the cut off end under a rock or in a pot, allow the new growth to go out in the water, It grows faster near some moving water, Doesn't mind some shade and will die back some in harsh heat. Also I know it can survive some winters, Just not sure how how cold and how long....lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Survived maryland, 8 inches of ice on the pond. The lowest we got was -6 this winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
may not be enough nutrients, try placing them in tub with miracle grow for a while then put them back into the pond.

Reaction score
And they like a lot of sun. The ones I have in cooler water in the shade, survive, but do not thrive. Sounds like a lack of nutrients. As long as you have one white viable root on the bottom and some green on the top, it will survive.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
addy1 said:
Survived maryland, 8 inches of ice on the pond. The lowest we got was -6 this winter.

Addy,
Did you do anything special like put it in the deeper sections of the pond, I had some last year in my creeks and it all died, got about as cold as you too with about 13" of snow at one point?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I left some just floating around in the large pond, it grew back once the ice melted. My pond had around 8 inches of ice on it. In the large pond it appeared to stay below the ice layer. This year I am going to anchor some in clay and sink to about 2 feet see how it does. The parrot feather in the small ponds stayed a real pretty green frozen in ice, but when it melted it died.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Zman- is your hyacinth in full sun or shade? This year I only bout 10 and they are doing well. They do like it warm and do very well in my full sun pond. Be sure to pinch off any damaged or dying leaves. As you sprout shoots, you can begin dividing them. If you have koi, they do enjoy nibbling on the roots, so you may want to do floating rings.

Reaction score
My hyacinth in the large pond were yellowish. The hyacinth in the small pond were green. The ones in the pools feeding the waterfalls are dark lush green with tall leaves. Guessing that the pools are filled with extra nutrients from collected debris. So I keep swapping them out so the ones in the pond can get a week or so in the pools to fertilized them.

None have flowers yet.

Ask a Question