Perennial Pond Plants?

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice! I've got a new question now..my pond is full of water thanks to all this rain. I'm finishing up the rocks/edging tonight and going to get water flowing via the pump and waterfall. I want to add fish and plants on Sunday. Can I do this at the same time if I float the fish to balance the temps/ph? Or should I wait awhile after adding the plants to add fish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you will need to test the water so get a good liquid test kit .Water at first may not be safe for fish .I use API test kit .

Reaction score
Oooo, so I'm taking it this is a new new pond?? If you have purchased pricey fish, I wouldn't put them in there until the pond cycles if at all possible.
And to encourage the cycling you need of course ammonia, so go buy some cheap feeder fish to get that going, this way if you loose them it will not cost you near as much. It can take several weeks to grow enough good bacteria to support several goldfish depending on size of pond, temperatures, type of bio filter material etc.....
Hope all goes well :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
For some odd reason, my elephant ears have survived the last few winters in the ground. Who knows about this last winter though - it was harsh!

The majority of my elephant ears are packed in vermiculite and stored in my crawl space for the winter - but always interesting to see what happened to those few I leave in the ground.

I actually need to get my bulbs out and think about planting them, I usually do this around Memorial Day.

Reaction score
Oooo, so I'm taking it this is a new new pond?? If you have purchased pricey fish, I wouldn't put them in there until the pond cycles if at all possible.
And to encourage the cycling you need of course ammonia, so go buy some cheap feeder fish to get that going, this way if you loose them it will not cost you near as much. It can take several weeks to grow enough good bacteria to support several goldfish depending on size of pond, temperatures, type of bio filter material etc.....
Hope all goes well :)

Yup it's a new pond! We filled it yesterday and it turned out where the waterfall/stream enters the pond wasn't level with the water level marked on the skimmer :( so the water level ended up being too high and the liner that was laid over the stream and just on top of the actual pond liner wasn't sealed at all so when our water level rose to above the pond liner it then drained under the waterfall/streams liner. So needless to say, I've got a fun filled weekend ahead of me figuring out how to seal these 2 liners together. I've seen recommendations on 2 sided tape and a lot of silicone/sealants. Any other advice out there?

Reaction score
The black rubber caulking they use for rubber roofs. Can't remember the name of it ( something 5000, maybe?) comes in a caulking tube for a gun. That what I used, and I spliced three pieces of rubber roofing together to get my liner the size I needed. And used it again when I added the bog. Works great, and Im pretty sure u can use it on wet rubber. I got at an actual roofing supply company. Hope that helps. Course this is all providing you have an EPDM rubber liner, the other liners idk :) Good luck

Ask a Question