Best perennial pond plants for zone 7?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hi all!

I am getting closer to having my first pond up and running. It is about 9 x 12, with a variety of shelves for various depths. I want a natural looking pond, so I plan to have it well-planted.

I'm interested in submerged plants, marginals, etc. Are there some that are good planted in the gravel at the very edge, as well as in the soil outside the pond -- to sort of visually blend the inner area with the space outside the perimeter?

If any of you have favorites, I'd love to hear which ones they are. Also good plants to plant around the waterfall hill and around the outer pond area.

Thanks! I am so excited to get my pond going!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Most marginals will grow both inside and outside of the pond. In fact, you have to be careful with some of the more invasive ones or they will take over your yard! (I'm looking at you wort family!) Look for anything that's a ground cover and you'll find a good assortment. Check the growing habits - avoid things that are said to be "fast growing" or "spreading" unless you know what you're getting or have a big area to fill.

My best advice to any gardener is to take a tour of your local area - just drive around and see what's growing. If you see it often that means it's a good grower in your area. If you don't know what it is, take a picture of it to your local garden center. Too many people fail at gardening because they are lured into the more exotic things they see at the nursery that are hard to grow or picky for the climate. Build your garden from the common, ordinary, hardy, and easy to grow and once you have a good base of plants you can try for some more unusual specimens later. Go on some garden tours in your area and talk to the gardeners - they are always happy to share their knowledge and maybe even a few plants!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Good advice from @Lisak1! Creeping Jenny comes in three colour varieties, and fills your requirements quite well, as does Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia), but the latter may spread a bit TOO rapidly in your zone.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Good advice from @Lisak1! Creeping Jenny comes in three colour varieties, and fills your requirements quite well, as does Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia), but the latter may spread a bit TOO rapidly in your zone.
John
Believe me, I know about chameleon plant.
My sister in law had some little pass along plants from a friend of hers. So pretty. Such nice leaves. I was happy to plant a few in my gardens. Who doesn't like free plants?!

NOW it's like kudzu! I looked up what it was -- yep. Chameleon Plant. Grrrrrrr... It's everywhere now!
Oh well. It IS pretty, anyway! :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yup. It all depends on WHERE you plant it. That well-mannered, slow growing plant in a zone 5 yard could well be a real terror in a Florida pond. If you need proof, just Google "Water hyacinth"!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One I've grown to like a lot is

BACOPA LEMON (BACOPA CAROLINIANA

It can grow in or out of the water, and really looks nice when tucked into rocks (under water) and finds its way up the side of the pond. It functions a lot like Creeping Jenny and softens the transition from water to the side. So far I haven't had any issues where it became invasive -- just nice & tame. I think it gets to be a few inches tall, maybe.....? Plus, it smells nice!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love Parrots Feather! It'll creep up out of your pond too w/it's roots in the water. I stick mine w/the roots crammed down in between the rocks around my pond. The roots must stay in water continuously.
IMG_7591.JPG

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I love Parrots Feather! It'll creep up out of your pond too w/it's roots in the water. I stick mine w/the roots crammed down in between the rocks around my pond. The roots must stay in water continuously.
View attachment 97295
One of my favourite plants; and now I'm a criminal for harbouring it! :(:rolleyes:
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Aquatic iris are a perk...

Attachments

• 20iris_ensata_variegata6.jpg
    20iris_ensata_variegata6.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 6LA-yellow-iris6.jpg
    6LA-yellow-iris6.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 7clyde-redmond6.jpg
    7clyde-redmond6.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 8colchesterii6.jpg
    8colchesterii6.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 2LA_iris_Ann_Chowning6.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 24blue_pond_iris6.jpg
    24blue_pond_iris6.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 290
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a bunch of narrow-leaved iris that my Dad always called Dutch Iris or Japanese Iris. They are not the big bearded kind. Much more delicate. I have a ton that need dividing. I wonder if they would do well in a pond? Or must they be a specific variety?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch of narrow-leaved iris that my Dad always called Dutch Iris or Japanese Iris. They are not the big bearded kind. Much more delicate. I have a ton that need dividing. I wonder if they would do well in a pond? Or must they be a specific variety?
Try them they may do wonderfully, you never know.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put ribbon grass in my pond after colleen talked about grasses and how well they do and they work great in my filters at cleaning the water and all I have to do is trim the roots once in awhile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lovely! What is the white one with purple spots? Makes me think of Marsi Gras!

Laevigata Colchesterii, it looks like some slightly crazy accountant has flicked blue pen ink on the petals....

Very specific varieties are evolved to thrive with constantly wet roots, Dutch iris, off the top of my head are not. Ensata, Sibirica are reliable in an aquatic position. Rotting off in winter will happen to those iris which are not adapted to growing in a wet root position

Ask a Question